Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

seeking recommendation on good winter wipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Default RE: seeking recommendation on good winter wipers

deal, i am getting them this weekend.
________
ZOLOFT LAWSUIT

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:13 PM

i tihnk i'll need to invest in some decent blades in the near future. ive been using the cheap canadian tire blades lately. the work well, but usually not for long.

also, a sponsor on torontomazda3 sells Sil blades, (i believe they are like the 'beam' blades), and they come with a 5 yr warranty on them. so as soon as they start to not work properly, you get a new set.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:51 AM

ORIGINAL: wineye

Something to report. I went to two stores over the weekend, looking for the Icon blades, adv auto parts and pepboys, but I couldn't get the pair I needed. they all have the driver side blade, but not the passenger side. It runs ~$20 each, expensive. Anyways, yesterday afternoon, I was looking for something for my daughter at wal-mart, and came across the auto section, there were some beam blades, "glider", there, ~$12 each, so I got a pair, and put them on. It then snowed at night, but the blades were much worse than the OEM ones. Un-even pressure on both blades, they sqeaked and chattered. Took them off, and will return them back to wal-mart later today.

Quite a few people reported they were happy with the Icons, "glider" is not "icon", but the look of the blades are similar, I am just wondering I should try Icon or just get conventional ones. The outer tip of the "glider" beam blade on the passenger side does not even touch the windshield, it's hard for me to imagin that the Icons would do.
________
Glass pipe set

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:47 PM

Something to report. I went to two stores over the weekend, looking for the Icon blades, adv auto parts and pepboys, but I couldn't get the pair I needed. they all have the driver side blade, but not the passenger side. It runs ~$20 each, expensive. Anyways, yesterday afternoon, I was looking for something for my daughter at wal-mart, and came across the auto section, there were some beam blades, "glider", there, ~$12 each, so I got a pair, and put them on. It then snowed at night, but the blades were much worse than the OEM ones. Un-even pressure on both blades, they sqeaked and chattered. Took them off, and will return them back to wal-mart later today.

Quite a few people reported they were happy with the Icons, "glider" is not "icon", but the look of the blades are similar, I am just wondering I should try Icon or just get conventional ones. The outer tip of the "glider" beam blade on the passenger side does not even touch the windshield, it's hard for me to imagin that the Icons would do.
Let me conclude this thread by saying that I have returned the "glider" beam wiper blades to wal-mart, and instead, I bought a pair of rain-x. The rain-x is lighter and adaptor is low profile and simple. The passenger side wiper has a better design (in terms of pressure points) than stock blades.

________
red head Webcams

Old 12-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

I sorry to say that I must retract my previous statement about the Trico NeoForms.

After 6 months (I intalled them on both cars in June) both sets of blades have taken to chattering BADLY!!!
I have written Trico to ask what could be done about it and have not heard back from them yet. I will post what they say and if offered a suggestion, how that worked as well.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:57 PM

Have you tried cleaning them. Trico usually gives you one those finger lickin good kind of wash cloth thingys to clean your blades. Alcohol rubbing thing'a'mabob.

I have never met a wiper blade that lasted forever.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Sure have! Several times using several methods, including the blue "station" towels that have worked so well for me in he past and alcohol.
It's not that they don't hold or wipe well, they are just noisy as hell all of a sudden.In a short time Ihave cometo dread having to turn on the wipers, which is quite the opposite of how I felt even 2 months ago.
My wife reported the same scenario on hers the other day. And these blades are only 6 months old and cost 3 timesmore than standardblades (~$20 ea.)They'd better last more than 6 months!!Even the factory blades lasted 4 times longer.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:27 PM

i figured the rain-x is only good for rain......once you have ice on the blade, esp. near the pressure point joints, the blades (or any blade might) become rigid......I am saving those rain-x'es for the coming summer, right now I have a pair of winter blades on, the type that has ruber wrap. Snow storm is comming tomorrow, and it's supposed to be 1 - 1.5 foot.

do the consumer report ever rate the windshield wipers? don't remember seeing one though.
________
accommodation in Pattaya

Old 12-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

If that's the case, then I'm in trouble.The entire blade is a pressure point(s.)Until today it hasn't even been that cold around here. This morning= 24*F.

And no, I've never seenCU do a report on blades either. I guess they have to be somewhat selective about what they purchase and test?

Old 12-16-2007, 03:35 PM

I probably didn't say it clearly, the rain-x'es are not beam design, they are conventional type. The beam design should do better in snow/ice than conventional, I just could not get them fit to the winshield surface tightly.
________
BigBustyStar cam

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Quick Reply: seeking recommendation on good winter wipers