Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

replace struts and shocks, and what else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Default replace struts and shocks, and what else?

i've got a 2007 mazda3 hatchback (not speed). almost 60k miles.

I'm thinking just shocks and struts. The other evening I was zoom zooming around Lake Beryessa and hit a bump where the pavement had been pushed down and forward, bottomed out the front right corner and since then things feel a little sloppy when the car is unloaded on that corner. Otherwise drives straight and fine.

What about strut tower parts? Bushings? anything else a good idea to keep things tight?

I don't even know if I have a rear swaybar, would it make sense to get front swaybar bushings and other steering bushings replaced while I'm getting it done? I might consider a rear swaybar install also.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:11 AM

id get it up in the air and check it out before i start buying things i dont need yet. yes you do have a rear sway bar

Old 08-20-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tracker
id get it up in the air and check it out before i start buying things i dont need yet. yes you do have a rear sway bar

Of course. I'm asking for things to expect, however. I'd like to stiffen up the swaybars, if my non-speed has a rear one, then I might consider poly bushings if they aren't a pain to change.. Also, if I'm already in there changing the struts and shocks if there are any bushings in there that might be worn I might as well replace them considering the cost to get struts installed..

If you haven't figured it out, I'm not much of a do-it-myself type, I'd rather spend my time playing than wrenching on my vehicle, but I don't mind doing easy stuff myself.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:51 AM

your 07 isnt (or shouldnt) have any worn bushings and not for a long while. yes it is a pain (kinda) to replace the bushings and bars if you get some hefty ones. Since your replacing the shocks and struts i would go ahead and purchase a set of mazdaspeed ones as for sawy bars, progress or racing beat. just dont go buying the biggest ones you can either its great for summer drives but when it snows its gonna be a very scary ride.