Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Recommendations for new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Question Recommendations for new tires?

I have a 2008 Mazda 3 hatchback. Looking for advice on some GREAT TIRES as I plan on keeping the car for a very long time.

I'm looking at the Pirelli 6 All season plus and Michelin Pilot Exalto.

I do highway driving daily (20) miles round trip with very little stop and go traffic.

I want a tire that has long life and excellent handling in rainy wet weather this fall.

Thanks for your feedback!

Old 10-17-2012, 04:41 PM

Go to Tire Rack.com and check the reviews for your choices. Look for reviews based on cars of similar size and lay-out and look for the reviews with higher mileage.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

myrose4me, where in the world are you?

Old 11-03-2012, 10:20 AM

I work for a wholesale tire distirubtion company that is owned by Michelin. If long like is a concern then the Piolt Exalto A/S is not the tire you want. It is a better handling, directional, tire with a softer rubber compound. The warranty for that specific tire is only 45,000 miles. I also sell the Pirelli's and the P6 is a decent, non directional tire tire that once again has a softer rubber compound and a 45,000 mile warranty. If this is your daily driver then I would suggest a non directional tire. I would do this because it is a front wheel drive car which causes excesive tire wear and with a non directional tire you can x your rear tires to the front of the car when you rotate. This gets each tire equal amount of life at each wheel location. Keep in mind Michelin has a $70 mail in rebat through the end of this month and Hankook has a $50 mail in rebate. If you ever have any questions about tires feel free to pm me any time. I have know way more about tires from all brands than I care to admit. lol I hope this helps ALLEN

Old 11-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Banned
Question

Softer tires are better for winter though!
Normal tires tend to get hard under 5 degrees celcius. rendering them useless in winter.

All-Weather:
If you drive in conditions that rarely drop below freezing and where there is little snow, then all-purpose, all-season tires should suffice. According to "Consumer Reports," these tires are best for year-round traction in dry, wet and mild winter conditions. If temperatures sometimes drop below freezing and you encounter only sporadic, slushy snow, then all-season tires marked "M+S" meaning mud and snow are a better option. These tires offer good rolling resistance, good tread life and good stopping power on dry and wet roads.

Winter Tires:
If you live in a climate where temperatures drop below 5 degrees F, then the rubber compound in all-weather tires might not stay soft enough to offer adequate traction. Winter tires are specially formulated from softer rubber and are designed to remain soft in frigid temperatures. Softer tires mean better traction but also faster tread wear and reduced stopping power in dry conditions.

Read more: All Weather Tires Vs. Snow Tires | eHow.com All Weather Tires Vs. Snow Tires | eHow.com

Impressed with this tire: http://video.canadiantire.ca/v/18374...weather-tires/
Hankook Optimo 4S All-Weather Tire

My car originally came with all season tires, OK for 1-2 years then crap----mainly good for 3 seasons!

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 11-03-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:36 PM

I've used Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires on three vehicles and LOVE them!

As for longevity: don't drive your car like a retard and get your tires regularly rotated and balanced and you'll get a good run out of the Pilot Exaltos. I'm currently on my second set of PE's on my Mazda3. The first set lasted 70,000 miles (about 2/32 inch remaining). The mechanic at Discount Tire was amazed when he looked at the before and after mileage and even Michelin themselves were very surprised when I sent them a testimonial.

As far as my weather conditions: I live in Austin, TX and temps can go from as low as around 20 degrees (rare) to the record 120+ we had last summer. The tires held up well at BOTH extremes with the same set that lasted 70,000 miles. I've driven in snow twice. Only problem I had was ice (typical obviously) one of those two times. Otherwise traction has always been great.

I HIGHLY recommend them. They are 195/65/15 if you're curious.