Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Question on Tinting the 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:19 AM
Default Question on Tinting the 3

So I just got my mazda3 a couple of months ago and want to tint it. My question is what % should I be getting in the front two windows and the back two windows and rear? If anyone can help me out id appreciate it. I don't want it dark to be a pain in the *** for night driving; however, I don't want it to be too light during the day, especially in the back.
Thanks.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Default RE: Question on Tinting the 3

What do the laws in your state say?

Old 05-14-2008, 09:39 AM

Mine has 10 % on it....and i regret the purchase it makes the car look good but is a pain in the *** at night. Also ive been stopped twice for having illegal tints. I wouldnt go any darker than 15%. 15-25% u should be fine and it will still look much nicer than stock.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:17 PM

i went with 20% all around it looks excellent. Not too dark not too light, during the day you can see through the car but only if your close to it. At night its fine too, i don't have any trouble driving. At certain angles the front passenger and drivers side will look light which is fine with me because of the po-po.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15620/7C02768BAC3C422DBA2742984CF78CD8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-14-2008, 02:44 PM

my car has 10 infornt and 5 in back and i love it i never go pulled over for tints nor a ticket but im used to tints my truck had 5 all around before so its kind of okay driving in night i can tell where cars and what it matters if u role down ur windows alot or what but to be safe i say u can go 15 all around so it looks nice and plus u be okay at night

Old 05-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Aubrey
What do the laws in your state say?

That is a most important question imo.Different states have different laws pertaining to AM tinting and it can cost you $150 each time to find out the hard way.
I have 25% front/5% on the rear and back on mine. The dealer had installed it before I bought my car, but if I had to choose again, 5% is too dark for most applications... and technically, it's illegal in my state too. Not for inspection, but we also have "driving" laws that the cops follow and 25% is max on any side passenger window.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

So I just got my mazda3 a couple of months ago and want to tint it. My question is what % should I be getting in the front two windows and the back two windows and rear? If anyone can help me out id appreciate it. I don't want it dark to be a pain in the *** for night driving; however, I don't want it to be too light during the day, especially in the back.
Thanks.
Like others have said first find out what your state laws say so that if you're breaking them you know full well and don't get mad if a cop gives you a fix-it ticket. Beyond that ask yourself what you're getting tint for. I'm getting both of my cars tinted on Friday (Yes Virgin I'll change my signature at last) so I've been thinking about this a bit. We've been wanting to tint them for awhile but we always find better uses for the money. Well I now have a 12 day old baby and we wanted to make the cars more comfortable for him, from both brightness and heat standpoints.

So I went in and talked to a local shop I found last year intending to get ~28% metalized tint (legal in NC is 35%). When the owner asked us why we were getting it we answered mostly for heat rejection. He recommended that we take a look at a ceramic tint they started using about 8 months ago (made by Johnson), and this was the test that sold us. They had a little box with a heat lamp in it (the kind that will burn you easily) with the lamp pointed right at the button that turns it on. You reach your hand in and turn the light on and BAM! a really hot light about 6" away from your hand. Then they pull out a piece of glass which slides into the box between the lamp and you hand, and has different tints on it. The first section of the glass was factory tint (ranges from 98-93% depending on make) which did little to nothing for the heat. The next was 20% metalized film and blocked 50% of the heat... super noticable difference. After that came a 40% ceramic (they use 40% so that with the OE tint it ends up being legal), which blocks 80% of the heat. The last one they had was a 73% tint (very light) and it blocked 92% of the heat..... it was as if the light wasn't on anymore.

So after this we decided on the 40% ceramic tint as it was just such a huge difference. The benefits are 40% is legal and we don't have to worry about finding an inspector to pass it, it doesn't interfere with cell signals as some metalized films do, it still makes it more private in the car, and makes the car look better. Also this is the same film that everyone at the shop had on their cars. The down side is that ceramic costs much more than metalized, but for our purpose it's exactly what we want, plus they gave me a discount for doing two cars. Beyond that I use a sunshade when parking my car and that greatly reduces interior heat and helps the car cool down faster when I first get in it.... even this past summer when it was about 110 every day.

When you find a shop to do your car go in a talk to the employees. See what they recommend, and see what they have on their vehicles. Most places will offer a lifetime warranty on their jobs, but some don't extend it if you've purposefully done illegal tint. Take your time and learn the different options, and make sure you pick a place who will do the work to your expectations.

Sorry about the disertation. :P

Old 05-15-2008, 09:24 AM

Congrats on the baby, icspots, you are going to enjoy being "dad".

I live in High Point, NC and waswoinering what shop you were talking to about the ceramic tint? My wife's car is in need of being re-tinted and that sounds perfect.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Blk03PSD

Congrats on the baby, icspots, you are going to enjoy being "dad".

I live in High Point, NC and was wondering what shop you were talking to about the ceramic tint? My wife's car is in need of being re-tinted and that sounds perfect.
So far I'm loving being a daddy, though him staying inconsolable until about 0200 this morning was a little annoying. <sigh>

The shop I'm going to is called Innovative Solar Control. It's on Lewisville-Clemmons Rd. in Clemmons, just south of I-40, behind the waffle house. They run $325 for A-post back ceramic tint ($150 for regular metalized, or $400 for the super heat rejecting Winnco), plus $20 if you want the strip on the windshield. Actually when the employee took me outside to show me some of their cars he recommended that I not go with the Winnco as it's much more expensive and doesn't block much more heat than the ceramic..... plus it's not as dark. They dropped $50 for me bringing both cars..... yeah not a lot, but I was going to get both done, and from what some friends have told me that's a good price for ceramic. Check 'em out and tell me if the little box w/ heat lamp test isn't the best domonstration you've seen.

Like I said my car will be done on Friday if you want to see it afterwards before deciding.... still I suggest going and checking out the shop just to make sure you like them. Oh and if you're in High Point then I imagine you've seen Troy around, yes?

What his 3 used to look like
Name:  100_4391.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  75.9 KB

And now
Name:  AF35.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  87.5 KB

Old 05-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Remi!!! Finally had the kid, huh? Congrats to you and the wife.
Got pics??
I never had the 2AM thing. Never had kids of my own or anybody else's for that matter. I prefer them when they live w/somebody else.

P.S. Glad I didn't go the chrome trim route, though I had considered it at one time.

Quick Reply: Question on Tinting the 3