Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Question about Fuel for Mazda 3

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:53 PM

oh alright, I heard that using premium gas every once in a while would clean out the tank or something, but i'll stick to regular. thanks for the help

Old 08-19-2009, 06:05 AM

High octane fuels are blended to enable operation in high compression engines without risk of detonation (knocking, pre-ignition). They produce no advantage whatsoever in an engine with a lower compression engine (unless the ignition timing can be advanced, which is not the case in the modern engine unless the power control module is re-programmed). Even then the power increase is very marginal.
When high octane fuels are used in a standard low compression engine, the result is a slower than normal burn rate resulting in incomplete combustion.
Residual combustible product in the exhaust stream is dealt with by the catalytic converter, which will burn it off, and whose operating temperature increases in consequence.
The end result then is lower engine power output due to incomplete fuel combustion during the power stroke, PLUS elevated operating temperature for the catalytic converter and rear O2 sensor, both of which will consequently have a shorter life.
(I don't know if there is also an impact on the rate at which the EGR plumbing gets fouled up, but it would not surprise me if such were the case).
The "performance enhancement" is an illusion resulting from the fact that high octane fuel allows the engine to "lug" better, ie. to keep providing higher torque at low revs without knocking, giving the misleading impression that because there is better accelerator response at the low rev. spectrum, the engine is doing better over the whole range.

I don't see much sense in paying extra $$$ at the pump for the privilege of paying more extra $$$ due to reduced life expectancy of the the catalytic converter and rear O2 sensor. Since you bought a zoom zoomer, use the fuel recommended and keep those rpms. up above 2000 rpms while zooming.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Default gasoline

actually this post about gasoline is came for the mazda3 maintenance manual... that is why i post it here,... well since you said that this specification might be wrong... i guess mazda should fire their engineer or author who wrote this mazda3 maintenance manual...

Old 08-20-2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by nandy Pungyan
actually this post about gasoline is came for the mazda3 maintenance manual... that is why i post it here,... well since you said that this specification might be wrong... i guess mazda should fire their engineer or author who wrote this mazda3 maintenance manual...
or you could do us a huge favor, stop posting random reference material regardless of whether we need it or not, and simply SHUT UP!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:14 PM

What he said,,,,

Good day sir!...I say GOODAY!!!

Old 08-28-2009, 09:41 PM

I worked for one of the major oil companies with the distribution terminals where gas is loaded onto the tanker trucks. There is no difference in the additive injected into the different grades of gas (regular, plus, or premium) as it all comes from the same tank. So, there is no advantage in running a higher octane from a "cleaning" perspective.

The storage tanks contain generic gas, and typically trucks from several companies load at the same facility. The difference is that each company has dedicated storage for their additive which injects at the time the truck is loaded. So, when you purchase Shell over Citgo for example, (or vice versa) you're purchasing what you believe to be a better additive as the gas itself came from the same place. Also, independents that sell to convenience stores typically have NO additives, so just "gas" with no detergent component. If you are always buying at a C-store, it might make a difference to switch to a branded station.

In the industry, the word was that Techron (Chevron additive) was the best one for cleaning. I think you can still buy it in a bottle as a fuel system cleaner too.

And just FYI, midgrade (89 octane) is typically not stored at loading facilities, it's created by spiking regular with premium to raise the octane. This can be done at the time the truck is loaded, or in some cases at the service station itself.

Last edited by Mark56; 08-28-2009 at 09:48 PM.