Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/)
-   -   Question about Fuel for Mazda 3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/question-about-fuel-mazda-3-a-19849/)

and1bball87 08-18-2009 06:54 AM

Question about Fuel for Mazda 3

I have a 2008 Mazda 3, it calls for the regular unleaded gas at the gas station. Some of my friends were telling me I should get premium put in every once in a while, is this true? or do i just stick with the regular gas?

Aubrey 08-18-2009 09:13 AM

Don't see the point unless you are having issues.

nandy Pungyan 08-18-2009 10:15 AM

fuel requirements

this was post by mistake...

and1bball87 08-18-2009 10:47 AM

I'm sorry but i dont understand any of that haha. I dont know what any of that means.

icspots 08-18-2009 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by and1bball87 (Post 96754)
I have a 2008 Mazda 3, it calls for the regular unleaded gas at the gas station. Some of my friends were telling me I should get premium put in every once in a while, is this true? or do i just stick with the regular gas?

Unless you're running a FI system, or have a high compression engine you're not going to get any performance benefit from using higher octane gas. One of the common reasons people use higher octane gas is because some premium gas has more detergents, etc. and theoretically helps keep the fuel system clean with occasional use. That said many lower octanes gases at this point have the same detergents in them..... just make sure to buy some gas from a shell station or something every once in awhile and you'll be fine.

and1bball87 08-18-2009 11:30 AM

thanks for the help

apbbnbanb_07 08-18-2009 04:04 PM

Using a higher octane gas can possibly even lower your gas mileage.

The un-turbo engine in our cars is not set up for a higher octane gas, so it will not burn completely and most of it will be exhuasted.

Octane is just the rating at what point the fuel will combust under a certain pressure, a higher octane will run but not be burned truly.

knucklehead11 08-18-2009 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by icspots (Post 96772)
Unless you're running a FI system, or have a high compression engine you're not going to get any performance benefit from using higher octane gas. One of the common reasons people use higher octane gas is because some premium gas has more detergents, etc. and theoretically helps keep the fuel system clean with occasional use. That said many lower octanes gases at this point have the same detergents in them..... just make sure to buy some gas from a shell station or something every once in awhile and you'll be fine.

Shell is the last place I would ever take my car for gas.

knucklehead11 08-18-2009 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by nandy Pungyan (Post 96768)
Vehicle with catalytic converter or oxygen sensor must be use ONLY UNLEADED FUEL, which will be reduce exhaust emission and keep spark plug pulling and minimum.

Mazda is designed to use 98 octane (RON) or higher petrol for best performance. If 98 octane (RON) is not available, 95 octane (RON) petrol can be used. Use of 95 octane (RON) petrol can decrease performance. Petrol lower than 95 octane (RON) could cause the emission control system lo lose effectiveness. It could also cause engine knocking and serious engine damage.

Countries that can use 95 octane above...
  • European countries
  • Cyprus
  • New Caledonia
  • Israel
  • Canary Island
  • Reunion
  • Morocco
  • Guadalupe
  • Martinique
  • French
  • Guiana
  • Turkey
  • Tahiti
  • Vanuatu
  • Kuwait
  • Oman
  • Qatar
  • Saudi Arabia
  • UAE
  • Bahrain
  • Lebanon
  • Jordan
  • El Salvador
  • Panama
  • Honduras
  • Nicaragua
  • Taiwan
  • Singapore
  • Hong kong
  • Brunei
  • Macau
  • Sri-lanka
  • Mauritius
  • South Africa
  • Bermuda
  • Antigua
  • Trinidad
  • Tobago
  • Zimbabwe
91 octane
  • Egypt
  • peru
90 or above
  • Philippines
  • Marshall Island
  • Micronesia
  • Palau
  • Syria
  • Nigeria
  • Chile
  • Guatemala
  • Venezuela
  • Costa Rica
  • Ecuador
  • Haiti
  • Bolivia
  • Colombia
  • Dominican Republic
  • Virgin Island
  • Curacao
  • Aruba
  • St.Martin
  • Vietnam
  • Malaysia
  • Nepal
  • Fiji
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Jamaica
  • Barbados
  • Grenada
  • St.Kitts
  • St.Vincent
  • The Commonwealth of Dominica
  • Indonesia
  • Thailand

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/ima...c/progress.gif https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/ima...ttons/edit.gif

instead of posting all that, post a link to the thread you already started with that same info instead of annoyingly repeating it.

shipo 08-18-2009 08:20 PM

I have no clue where nandy Pungyan is getting his information, but it almost certainly does NOT apply to cars sold in the United States, and as such, the wise reader will disregard his (or her) posts.

With the above said, your Owner's Manual clearly states that you should use Regular Gasoline. Said another way, in the United States and Canada, you should use 87 AKI fuel (which translates roughly to 91 or 92 Octane (RON) in Europe). Using Premium Gasoline will do absolutely nothing to improve either performance or fuel economy, and may even degrade both.