Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Purge Valve install?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Default Purge Valve install?

I have an '04 Mazda 3 2.3l with the check engine light on. It is throwing the code P2177, lean off idle bank 1. I suspect the problem is probably a stuck purge valve. If I shut the light off, it will come back on when there is about a half tank of fuel left. I assume this is because there is more air in the gas tank at that point and the stuck purge valve allows it into the intake downstream of the MAF sensor, causing the motor to run lean.

Does anyone else have experience with this problem? Does that sound like an accurate diagnosis?

The dealer wants $200 to install a new purge valve, $140 parts and $60 labor. Does anyone have any experience changing out the purge valve? How difficult is it?

Thanks in advance for the help,

-Ryan

Old 11-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Default RE: Purge Valve install?

your very lucky. my dealership wants over $400 just for the purge valve solenoid. if you want, i can send you directions on how to install it. I have AllData specifically for 04 mazda 3's.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:35 PM

Here is a place to get one even cheaper:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214264

Should be part number LF6620360K.

How hard is it to remove and install the new one?

Thanks,

Old 11-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Luckily mine went bad while I was still under warranty.... actually I went through four in about six months.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:45 PM

*EDIT* Its not showing the pictures. PM me and ill send you the page I saved from AllData showing how to do it.

Service and Repair
PURGE SOLENOID VALVE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION[*]Remove the plug hole plate.[*]Remove the battery cover.[*]Disconnect the negative battery cable.[*]Remove using the following procedure:

CAUTION: Do not disconnect the purge solenoid valve and evaporative hose except when replacing the purge solenoid valve because it may cause evaporative gas leakage. When it is necessary to remove the purge solenoid valve for removing/installing other parts, disconnect the valve at the quick release connector.[*]Disconnect the evaporative hose at the charcoal canister side. (See Evaporative Hose Installation Note.)[*]Turn the evaporative hose (intake manifold side) approx. 30° from the dot line to the solid line.[*]Disconnect the quick release connector (Type A).[*]Install in the reverse order of removal.Evaporative Hose Installation Note[*]Install the evaporative hose and clamp as shown in the figure.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Default 2005 mazda 3 purge solenoid valve replacement

I need to replace this part,any pictures and details on install would be helpful. Where is it located?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:05 AM

Hey I've been going through many forums trying to get some help. Recently my CEL came on and the dealer told me is the code was PO442 and that I need to change my purge solenoid valve. Can you please send me the directions on how to change this as well as maybe a part number? Some pictures would be great as well...Hopefully you still use this forum and i get a response because this was dated 2008.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by 04Mazda3Sport
your very lucky. my dealership wants over $400 just for the purge valve solenoid. if you want, i can send you directions on how to install it. I have AllData specifically for 04 mazda 3's.

Can you send those directions to me also?

Thanks,

Old 02-17-2012, 01:11 PM

Do you still have the directions to replace the purge solenoid valve? If yes, could you please forward them to me at jmxfour@optimum.net

Thanks......Joe

Old 02-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Default Instruction

Hi, could you forward me those directions as well? janne@juliannepatty.com

Thanks so much.

Quick Reply: Purge Valve install?