Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Purchasing a new Mazda, need your expertise, tips, recommendation and warnings please

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 07:47 AM
Default Purchasing a new Mazda, need your expertise, tips, recommendation and warnings please

Hello, I'm purchasing a 2011 Mazda 3 GS and I was wondering if the community can give me some advice and clarify some questions. I have never owned a mazda perviously, I've always driven honda's and a toyota's.

This car has the 2.5 engine with automatic transmission and about 74000kms on it, aside from general maintenance (oil change, brakes, etc), are there any problems that are common with this Mazda?

Any electrical issues, excessive oil consumption? transmission? or any leakage issues that I should be aware of?

In terms of gas consumption, how many kms do you all get from a full tank with a mix of city and highway driving?

I'm aware of the rust issues with Mazda's and I get all my cars rust proofed so thats not a problem.

I'm a student and my funds are very scarce, I just need to know that I'm not buying a car that will end up being a headache down the road or have the car sit in a shop more than it drives on the road.

Thank you all in advance!

Old 05-31-2016, 06:02 PM

First off, Welcome to Mazda. You should have no regrets. There really are no major, or minor, underlining issues that will slap you in the face down the road. About the only thing that comes to mind is the #3 motor mount. They are oil filled and absorb a lot vibration. This mount is on the right hand side by the coolant degas bottle. If it has failed, you may see an oil stain running down the frame from the mount. You will also feel a vibration in drive, not major, just there. Not a big deal.

You'll have to do the conversion but fuel consumption wise, you should see about mid 30's mpg. combined. Depends on your driving of course.

Mazda seemed to rectify any rust issues back in 2008 with the Mazda line. Rust proofing may be a waste of money at this point, especially with a vehicle that's already 5yrs old.