Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Professional MS3 Tune Shop Reccomendations - NNJ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Default Professional MS3 Tune Shop Reccomendations - NNJ?

Hi,

I require some insight into a reputable/skillful tuning service. I'd like to get my 2008 MS3 professionally tuned while adding a Cork Sport Short Ram Intake, Tower braces, Chassis brace and heat box for the intake.

My objective is increased torque and horsepower and perhaps some fuel economy to boot as I'm a long distance commuter about 2-3 days/week.

I do not have the space and have limited familiarity with this vehicle, so I'm seeking a place I can trust that is passionate about MS3's. I'm seeking a place that can tune the car and do the build up.

Please advise.

Cwevan

Old 01-16-2011, 07:02 AM

check out mazdas247.com, look for the section called regional and click your state, people have put up reviews of local shops, just hunt around, there might be a meet in your area too

Old 01-16-2011, 08:58 PM

with the car being that stock, you really shouldn't have to worry about tuning. you will be looking at spending a couple hundred bucks just for some minimum power. tuning will only bring gains on more in depth work. when you go to a new intercooler, turbo manifold, and fuel system work, you should get tuned.

if you want a reliable and economic car, keep it stock.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:19 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the insight but it's fostered another question: In my own experience with 1960/1970 era vehicles, I was able to obviously increase power without a worry about gas consumption to the point of idiocy - 8 mpg was a lofty goal in one case. With Mazda, I'm hearing from some sources that really basic changes could yield not only better power, but better fuel economy.

My objectives are both handling and performance centric so my thoughts are running along the following and I'd really appreciate your thoughts if you have experience or if you'd heard from others.

- Cobb Short Ram Intake
- Cobb Intercooler/Street Unit - the one that simply fits directly on top without all of the piping and tubing
- Some chassis bracing components
- Eventually, torsion bars and a lowering kit (springs/camber)

The intercooler - overkill? Perhaps not really something that would heighten economy? The other issue is that I only want upgrades (if any) that won't screw with the engine light issue.

The reason for the original post was because I received feedback that a professional tune would essentially "tune" the stock vehicle better - maybe not the case based on your feedback.

CWE

Old 01-17-2011, 11:11 PM

The parts you have chosen are very good, the stock I/C has poor cooling and suffers heatsoak quiet often. A better top mount I/C kind of helps since it has a much larger cooling area but a front mount is always best. None of these will cause a cel to come on honestly i wouldnt count on giving you more than 1-3mpg. One more thing i would add to your list though is a catted downpipe, if you ever get the chance to see the stock dp and turbo mani its one of the worst ones ive seen, freeing up that little section is one of the best small upgrades for the speed 3.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:04 AM

Hey, again, thanks!!

So: Intercooler, Short Ram Intake, Catted down pipe - these appear to be essential upgrades that actually help the car perform better all around and may contribute to marginal increases in fuel economy - all good.

Do you know anything about these RS4 chips(rs4performance.com that hypothesize quite remarkable gains in HP and MPG? i'm guessing the current chips override these after market chips?

So, now where to go for this work? I'm guessing that a local shop that knows the Mazda may actually get me better pricing than were I to purchase independently. I guess I need to find a local shop and price out parts/labor. Anything I'm missing here? My first order of business was 4 Michelin X ice snow tires on the stock wheels. I'm thinking about the upgrades in the Spring. Perhaps a nice wheel and performance tires as well.

Are there any upgrades that you know of to the current stereo that are subtle. I have the Bose, but they're so damn low in the doors that they're not really efficient in terms of acoustics of the car.

I really appreciate all of your insight - thanks!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:20 PM

do yourself a favor and just get a unichip. streetunit.com/MAZDASPEED_3_Unichip_p/uni-ms3.htm

the best option for mostly stock cars. it doesnt support larger injectors, but it allows you to remap for tuning. most of the average chips on the market dont really do a whole lot. just google around for a shop near you who will do the work.