Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Problem when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 05:27 PM
Default Problem when accelerating

I got this mazda 3 Sport 2.3 Liter. Since I been having it I noticed a problem with acceleration. From a dead stop to start I press the gass peddle and it starts going but wants to stutter! Instead of taking off it actually kinda stalls. It doesnt back fire or make any noises, it just doesnt go! After about 2 or 3 seconds and when it gets upto about 10 miles per hour then it kicks in real good and takes off fast. I notice it do this from a dead stop mostly but also sometimes when I am wanting to pass someone up going about 40 or 50. All this happens about 70% of the time I drive. Not all the time. Is this a serious problem or normal in the Mazda 3? What can I fix myself to change this poor acceleration?

Old 09-28-2005, 07:35 PM
Default RE: Problem when accelerating

do you have a cold air intake system installed on your car? if so, youre mass airflow sensor could be contaminated with oil from the air filter which helps prevent dirt from getting into your engine.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:30 PM

I see from your other post that you just recently installed a Weapon R intake. If the stuttering and hesitation began after the installation then would say is about a 99.9% chance that the driveability problems are due to the intake system. Oil from the filter is not necessarily the cause either. The factory air box and intake plumbing is not just a large piece of plastic the manufacturer threw under the hood. The intake size, length, and shape has been carefully engineered to direct the correct amount of airflow past your airflow meter. The air flow meter does not measure every atom of air that goes into your engine but instead relies on a small sample to determine total airflow base. When you disrupt or change this air flow direction with an intake kit you are changing the true airflow reading and computer is now getting an incorrect total airflow signal which can cause all kinds of driveability problems. Just thought you would like to know.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:11 AM

No I just installed all the extra stuff (intake and exhaust) This started about 2 weeks after I bough the car which was about 7 months ago....Any other Ideas?

Old 09-29-2005, 04:07 AM

Then why not get this problem addressed when it was happening after purchase? The Mazda dealer will not even touch now with the aftermarket intake installed.

Old 09-30-2005, 03:46 PM

I may have some sort of relief for this question...

I have an 04' Mazda 3 2.0 Liter and I know if I am gasing from a stop to 1st and so on, the car kinda of hesitates and you really have to push on it alittle more after about 10 seconds, it takes off...

I noticed that and i kinda freaked out, i though tmaybe it was the timing and it was off with the tranny, etc.. by the way i have an auto.
Well one time i called the mazda dealer and asked if this was normal.. and this mazda dealer is pretty honest and has worked on my car before...

Their response was "It is NORMAL for the Mazda 3 to do this, it has a stall-slow timing kinda of effect" i dont know if this is about the auto only or the manual as well.
But they said it was normal, its got a slow-reaction time... atleast from a stop to a go...

So since then, i dont worry about it, but it is alittle annoying sometimes...

oh well! still love the mazda 3!!

[sm=gears.gif]

Old 10-04-2005, 03:39 AM

meggzio7..Thanks for this post. I read it and it does seem like what I am talking about. You helped me alot! Now I dont have to worry that its a broken part or something. BUT I do wonder if there is a way to stop this slow acceleration cause I want to go faster from 0-60. Any ideas?

Old 10-04-2005, 12:50 PM

No problem! Seems like all problems i have with my 3... everyone else has too!

Yea I dont know about the slow acceleration thing and how to stop it...

It does suck.. sometimes I want to take off from a light ya know? And I have to put the pedal to the floor so the car senses i dont want a stalled take off.. So i dont know, may wanna ask dealer...

Maybe they can change the shift timing on the tranny? I dont know if thats the same thing or not...

Sorry I couldnt be more help!

Old 10-05-2005, 10:50 AM

you see the problem with your car is normal, because i had the same thing with mine at around 2nd gear the car would jerk, what the problem is, is you must have accelerated the car (faster then normal) or have reached speeds that are way over the speedlimit. when i hit over a hundered (occasionally) the next day i find it has a hard time to shift to second. maybe you are having the same problem

Old 10-05-2005, 10:52 AM

also after about a week or so if you take an easy on the car it will go away

Quick Reply: Problem when accelerating