Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Please help with rear suspension for '04

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Default Please help with rear suspension for '04

Hey guys. I need to replace the rear shocks on my 2004 2.3L hatchback. Seeing as I'm incompetent with car care, I was wondering if I also need to replace my struts, mounts, or any other suspension components while I'm at it . The car has a little over 100k miles on it rides like a skateboard.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for which parts/brands to get and where to get them? Buying car components is completely new to me, but I'm eager to learn. Money is an issue, but I don't want to sacrifice quality for a little savings. I was also toying with the idea of getting something a little stiffer than the originals, but that would require that I replace my front shocks too, right?

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2014, 05:26 PM

ZhaoZhou:

Replacing struts is not for beginners. It is best to leave that to a mechanic. If you have struts rather than shocks you need an alignment anyway.

I have had good experience with Monroe Sens-A-trac struts. They are long lasting and good. Some may find them too soft. If you want to stiffen you suspension you should do it on all corners.

Good luck!

These guys say replacing shock absorbers is easy and I concur:https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...sorbers-32813/

Keep in mind shock absorbers and struts are 2 different animals.

Last edited by tanprotege; 01-03-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:52 PM

the danger here is the release of the strut springs. you need a spring compressor and an impact gun/wrench. another note is the position of the struts. some mazdas change the camber angle by moving the position of the strut by rotating it (on the front struts.. i dont know if this affects anything on your car, but it is something to keep in mind). but if you want to learn, then put marks on the strut mounts, springs, buy the tools and go for it!

Old 01-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Doing rear shocks/struts on a Mazda 3 doesn't require you to touch the rear springs.
Probably the easiest shocks to replace on any Mazda.

Either two nuts or two bolts at the top of the shock and 1 bolt & possibly a nut at the bottom.
Support the hub with a jack before removing nuts & bolts, then let the jack down to lower the hub & remove the shock.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

Rears are easy to do, two nuts at the top, one nut/bolt at the bottom, remove and replace. I've had good experience with KYB parts for suspension, feels similar to stock (but I like that).

As others have said the fronts are a different story. You can do them yourself, but it's easier to have someone with the correct tools do it for you. If your rears are blown then you may want to look at replacing the fronts as well. In general suspension components should be replaced every 50k, so they're due.