Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Performance mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 11:40 AM
Unhappy Performance mods

Hey guys,

I have a 2008 mazda 3 2.0, Im looking to give it some HP. I put in a Corksport SRI and had to remove it with in a week. The only thing the SRI did was give it a nice swoosh sound when accelerating. I actually felt like it had loss of power white I had the intake on. Any thoughts on mods that can give more HP?

Old 11-26-2018, 12:47 PM

The absolute best advice for you would be to sell your car and buy something with the kind of power you are looking for. Be aware, this is a slippery slope as the instant you get in an incrementally faster car, you are going to suddenly find yourself wanting a still faster car.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:41 PM

Howdy new member,

Based of spec's from OE on engine with accessories @ 6500 rpm.
These are all estimates based on hundreds of observed Chassis Dyno Runs on various cars and engines. Some mods need to work optimum with other mods and ultimately all the engine added modification should have a EFI/ECU Performance Calibrator do a custom calibration to adjust and make all the additions work together at optimum.
Calibrated Water /meth injection approx up to 10% gain HP. No other adjustments or upgrade parts to any system or ECU calibration needed for this gain.
A *performance ported head with larger exhaust valves aprox + 25-30 HP @6500 rpm
With *performance spec'd cam = aprox +7-12 Hp @6500 rpm
Calibrated and completely wrapped exhaust system with as straight as possible from head to rear bumper and a muffler to at least equal CFM of exhaust max. flow approx.+ 5-12 HP above 4700 rpm
High out put quick raise time coils improved linear gains HP gain above 3500 rpm
Add a MSD Ignition to support the ignition system for producing higher gains above 3000 rpm
Lowering the thermostat to 180F improves HP linear gain above 4000 rpm
Adding an auxiliary cooling fan to dump excess heat under hood supports linear gains
An improve intake charge system that is at least equal to maximum produced CFM and protected from radiated heat of engine supports linear gains
Performance ECU Calibration to adjust all the upgrades approx total HP additional approx. 5 %

Add a Sniper NOS System and a safe and instant 25, 50 or maximum 75 HP gain on demand. No other adjustments or upgrade parts to any system or ECU calibration needed for this gain.

Last edited by Callisto; 11-27-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:02 AM

Like I said, it will be better, faster, cheaper, to simply sell the car and use the proceeds to buy something faster.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
Like I said, it will be better, faster, cheaper, to simply sell the car and use the proceeds to buy something faster.
Then with any car the best suggestion would be water/meth system and or a Nitrous system
Its hard to tell someone what car they like not to try to make more power. It has been this way since high school.
And actually unless we add parts that will increasing the intake pressure like Turbo Chargers or Superchargers the list would still be the same. Only with those higher gains means going in to the short block to change out or machine parts to support much higher engine outputs.
The basic rule is 30% above a stock engine before you get to the point of breaking internal engine parts. NA or boosted engine.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:22 AM

You really are missing the point aren't you.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:49 AM

You really are missing the point aren't you.
I use to think people that wanted more power from a VW Bug were strange creatures, like wise many owners of early pre 70's British cars. I myself owned a MGB with a whooping 90hp crank and completely rebuilt the engine with a custom one off steel crank,special order Wiseco forged piston,ported and polished head with both larger intake and exhaust valves,custom one off header and a Clifford fully port matched to head intake with a 45 DCOE carb to achieve a end result of 145hp at the wheel. I would have really not wanted anyone to tell my I should go buy a different car to make more power? I really think you don't tell someone that likes their car and wants to make it better to go sell it to get more power. That just me.
So I could also say to you "You really are missing the point aren't you?" People want to make what they own more then what it is. In this case it does not really take that much money to gain 10% over the stock out put. So for about 350 dollars you could effectively and realistically go from 148 to 162 which is $25 per HP gained. Not to mention all the positive benefits that realistically no other engine power part can do. I don't know about you but 25 HP is something. With universal water/meth systems it is not a permanent part of that car which means it can be easily transferred to most any other vehicle. So it is sorta a performance investment that does not lose its value and is not single use restricted. This is also the same with a wet universal Nitrous system. 75HP shot to any car is a kick in the rear for power no matter what you drive. Most people are really all about the off the line and get to that top speed rather then trying to off throttle and power out of a turn on the street as in road racing conditions. Like the water meth system the Nitrous is not married to any single car does not lose its value and can be transferred to other vehicles.
I have read many of your responses on this forum and I would say that you have a good head for advise but in this case telling a member to go buy a different car? Maybe not really your best?

Last edited by Callisto; 11-28-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I have read many of your responses on this forum and I would say that you have a good head for advise but in this case telling a member to go buy a different car? Maybe not really your best?
For 99% of the folks out there it is absolutely the best advice; you may not like it or even believe it, and for you it may not even be true; however, in the long run it will cost far less to just buy a faster car.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:01 PM

I always thought the point of a member asking what I can do to upgrade a car is not to go buy a .99 cent for sale sign.

For 99% of the folks out there it is absolutely the best advice; you may not like it or even believe it, and for you it may not even be true; however, in the long run it will cost far less to just buy a faster car.
I can't change your personal thoughts, I will say your percentage is absolutely subjective and I can say my past selling engine power parts also differs from our opinions.
For you own state giv'um a call see what they tell?
Your state right? see: hot rod shops new hampshire
You may take a peek at this as well.
SEMA participants past and present may tend to disagree with your overall thoughts about upgrading power on any car or truck?

Hey regardless of this good info back and forth between us, check out your friends request in your profile, Yes I requested to become one!

Last edited by Callisto; 11-28-2018 at 01:05 PM.