Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

performance mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Default performance mods

Hi,

in a couple of weeks I'll be getting back my '05 HB after a lovely lady caved in the side of it. I think it's time to squeeze more power out of it.
when I got it new the first thing I did was replace the stock wheels with Lightweight Kazeras, 225/40/18. Those were the biggest I could fit. I shod them with BF Goodrich G-force sports, which were excellent in every way... apart from the way they wear out. there's nothing gradual about it, one day they are excellent and the next day it's like someone flicked a switch and they are next to useless. The tire I have on there now if a Falken - don't remember the model but they are a ultra summer tire. Not so sticky as the BFs, but much quieter.
Anyway, I've read a lot of posts over the past few hours, and the FAQ (of course), but I need some help in locating some information: This grounding thing, what's that all about? The ignition advance thing? what's that? who sells it, etc?
I think the answer to my intake question is: It doesn't matter, they are all pretty much the same... I'm assuming shorter is better, but cooler is also better. mutually exclusive :-/
I'm also going to asume that the trip computer onlock thingy doesn't work using my after market pioneers stereo, and it doesn't work on the 05 hb anyway.
so. Grounding and ignition mod? any more information would be very helpful, Thanks.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: performance mods

Throttle body grounding http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=8848.0

Are you talking about the advanced timing modification? If so check THIS thread out. Bear in mind that it's not something that someone sells, but rather you physically moving the throttle sensor to advance the timing. Hmmm, there used to be pictures in that with a full walkthrough, but they seem to have disappeared.

You're correct that the trip unlock won't work on: A) a '05 Mz3, and B) one that doesn't even have the HU that contains the trip computer in it.