Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Options...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Smile Options...

If you had a choice between power pulley set or aftermarket intake mani which would you choose as far as performance?

Keep in mind with the exception of Shippo's comments which whom Jesus himself couldn't prove that aftermarket parts actually do increase power at other points besides at or near redline, with the exception of boosting and/or ECU modification. Are manufactures claims hyped..sure..but there is SOME truth to the matter. Keep in mind that "bang for your buck" or Performance:value (or money spent) ratio is a completely irrelevant argument. Value is completely subjective and discretionary to which the term has a different view and definition to every human being on this earth. Point being what I find might be very valuable but you may find it junk. "One mans trash is another mans treasure."

With that being said, which would you choose?

Old 01-27-2012, 08:12 PM

I am not a fan of 'power pulleys'. They under drive items that were chosen to be driven at their spec. If you were going to go that route, might as well go for a skinny and super light wheel and tire package. Or get rid of engine belt driven accessories all together.

I'd lean on the manifold sold since you're dealing with an air pump.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by mzdaspd304
If you had a choice between power pulley set or aftermarket intake mani which would you choose as far as performance?

Keep in mind with the exception of Shippo's comments which whom Jesus himself couldn't prove that aftermarket parts actually do increase power at other points besides at or near redline, with the exception of boosting and/or ECU modification. Are manufactures claims hyped..sure..but there is SOME truth to the matter. Keep in mind that "bang for your buck" or Performance:value (or money spent) ratio is a completely irrelevant argument. Value is completely subjective and discretionary to which the term has a different view and definition to every human being on this earth. Point being what I find might be very valuable but you may find it junk. "One mans trash is another mans treasure."

With that being said, which would you choose?
Oy vey. Hey, if you want to blow your money for little if any gain at the top end and a loss of torque in the mid range, who am I (or Jesus for that matter) to say otherwise.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Banned

Do you have a big stereo? Doesn't power pulleys slow things down like the alternator---it does not put that much output already especially @ idle.
Does new intake manifold require tuning or will difference from MAF reading be enough?
I am leaning to MAF reading increase in airflow should be OK without tuning.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 01-28-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:31 PM

Long runners = Low end Tq
Short runners = High end Tq

Although I know that we use VLR so that it distributes power equally through the entire RPM band.

Ship. I want to believe you. If you can prove by physics, and math that aftermarket products do not make the claims they say they do and even worse are actually counter productive and damaging to your vehicle. Then Sir, I will quit my job, take a one way flight to your home, front you the money for the best damn lawyer your state has to offer and we shall sue every major car aftermarket product company for false advertising and damages, shut down these companies for the damages they cause and then me and you shall live like kings...Because the feeling that I am getting from you is that this industry is the most lucrative and most scamming of all things since the Pope was in power of the free world back in 1400's...or whatever the time was..

Oh, and maybe I want to **** my money away to make my car as loud a possible and drive up and down my street at 3 a.m. and **** people off. =) I'm just a spoiled little rich kid with money to burn. lol. not.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
Do you have a big stereo? Doesn't power pulleys slow things down like the alternator---it does not put that much output already especially @ idle.
Does new intake manifold require tuning or will difference from MAF reading be enough?
I am leaning to MAF reading increase in airflow should be OK without tuning.
I was thinking the same thing, I have a decent stereo. It's nothing to brag about but its way better than stock. However I do have gauges in my car and when my one 12" sub kicks, it drops those volts a ton. Although, knock on wood, I'm still on my first alternator at 147,000 miles.

If i didn't do the power pulleys I was thinking just doing the crank pulley however they want, i think, close to $300 for a claimed 10hp...

Old 01-29-2012, 08:32 AM
Banned

Found this for you: Mazda 6 Manifold - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Monoxide is a part time mechanic with a very top notch 4 cyl.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by mzdaspd304
Long runners = Low end Tq
Short runners = High end Tq

Although I know that we use VLR so that it distributes power equally through the entire RPM band.
Correction:
  • Long runners = Low end Torque
  • Short runners = High end Horsepower

As for all of the noise you've made about my comments, you can twist and distort everything I've said to your heart's delight; the fact remains there is no free lunch. If you alter the intake system of a normally aspirated engine so that it allows for a slight bump in horsepower at WOT, then there are almost 100% odds that mid range torque will suffer by an equal or greater amount. Like it or don't.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:01 AM

Ok, that's fine ship, I'm not distorting anything. I am simply comparing your claims which you claim to be the real truth to manufacture claims which you claim to be false. Would that be correct?

Simple question, based off your fact driven information, which can indisputably not be argued against, do you believe manufactures falsely advertise their products, and to the point where it is so bad, that they are actually taking advantage of consumers, leaving out pertinent information that would actually drive the consumer choice or market?

Old 01-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Banned

The amount gained at one area of the rpm zone would be more than the area lost at another rpm zone. This can also have even more gains and less losses with a proper computer tune.
This is the result of modding.
Especially with today's cars, there are many gears with higher revving engines, These days midrange is almost over 3,500 rpm.
In older days, 5,000 was redline, now it's 6,500 - 7,000 rpm.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 01-29-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Options...