Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Next Generation

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Default Next Generation

I was just wondering if anyone knew when the next generation of the 3 is due to come out. It has been out for 3 years now and most models get a redesign after 4. Also what do u guys think they should change on the 3 in the next Generation? I personally think they need to add a little bit more horsepower to compete with the other sport compacts on the market. 170-180 sounds about right for a car that weighs just under 3000 lbs and costs under 20k. Just my opinion

Old 07-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Lev
Default RE: Next Generation

I know it wont be done but the car would be perfect if they madeit rear wheel drive.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:17 AM

No way do I want to see rear wheel drive. Maybe all wheel drive.
Like to see the front bumber and grill changed to look sporty'er (is that a word)

seems like most cars go from curved lines to sharp linesand vis versa.
so I'll quess the next gen will have more defined lines.

I agree a little more hp would be nice, but when isnt it.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:39 AM

well the 3 has been out for 4 years 2004-2007. And it did just get a refresh. Most models are replaced after 7 years. So the 2nd gen should be out in 09.

the 2.3L should put out more hp for the next gen. But i think the 2.0L engine should stay due to its good mpg.

but you really don't need a higher hp model when you offer a turbo version for damn near the same price. And the 2.3L was rated the 4 fastest car for under 20k.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Lev
I know it wont be done but the car would be perfect if they madeit rear wheel drive.
+1

ORIGINAL: eastcoater
No way do I want to see rear wheel drive. Maybe all wheel drive.
Like to see the front bumber and grill changed to look sporty'er (is that a word)
I agree a little more hp would be nice, but when isnt it.
+1 on the hp. +1 on the sportier look... and sound. The stock exhaust should offer a little more feedback, imo, especially for us stick drivers.
-1 on the AWD. More complicated and added weight than is needed. Plusthe reduction in gas mileage.
Oh, and sporty'er is not a word, but sportier is.

1.) The MS is a really good alternative to the n/a, but not everyone wants the trouble a turboed car can be. So as stated, a little more hp (185+/-) w/the added torque would be good. They should be able to do that and not compromise fuel mileage.
2.) More/better color choices.
3.) More interior colorchoices.
4.) Less fender gap.
5.) Better OE tires. (Are they still selling the S w/the BadYears? They SUCKED, and I will NEVER buy another GoodYear!!!!)
6.) 6-speed manual FTW!!

Old 07-21-2007, 09:59 AM

they will never do real wheel drive, it is after all an economy car. The turbo version has the added insurance costs that come with it. I dont need a car that can go 0-60 in 6 seconds but one that could do it in 7-7.5 would be nice

Old 07-21-2007, 11:33 AM

The 3 in many countries is available with smaller engines (not just the 2.3 and 2.0). In the UK, for example,the car comes with a 1.6 or a 2.0.

With the increasing focus of the consumer on fuel economy, you'd think Mazda is carefully considering whether or not the 2.3 will continue to be available in the 3. Maybemake itavailable only inthe Speed3.

Mazda for years made a 1.8 engine for the American market, and I think still puts this engine in vehicles outside of the US (possibly under the Ford name). I think the Mazda 6 currently sold in Europe has a 1.8 engine. If you popped this engine into a 3, you'd assumably get better EPA numbers, which Mazda has gotta want. The current 26/34 with the 2.0 is okay but not great.For example, the Civic is rated30/40.

Trunk release on the keyfob has gotta be standard, as do variable intermittent wipers. A bigger trunk would also increase the appeal of the 3. Aesthetics like this matter to the masses.

Get rid of the beige interior ... or change it so it is less yellow (more muted). I have the black interior,my take isblack is the only highly appealing interior color. Thebeige interior has way to much matching beige dashboard plastic.

I like my white background gauges - especially cool at night, when they turn dark with the numbers lit up red. Issue isat dusk or when it is very cloudy during the day, they can get a little hard to read. Do something about that.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: npoll212
they will never do real wheel drive, it is after all an economy car.
You're right, of course, but we can dreamcan't we?

Old 07-22-2007, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: UrbanmanUSA
Get rid of the beige interior ... or change it so it is less yellow (more muted). I have the black interior,my take isblack is the only highly appealing interior color. Thebeige interior has way to much matching beige dashboard plastic.
I would like it if they offered a lighter interior in anything but the base i model. But I agree that the hue could be better and that the other beige in the interior intrudes too much. The seats and door panels would be enough.

They offer a lighter graywith some colors in the '07's, but very limited selection of exterior colors. Black, Galaxy Gray and Sunlight Silver are the only colors that featurethe it, and only in Sport and Touring models. Why not make that availablewith any body color/model?