Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New Tires

Yup. $120 ea, sell down/close out. Replaced w/the Pilot Sport A/S Plus.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:54 PM

Richard, how do those handle? Anything like a performance summer tire?

Old 12-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

You need to ask Dale, Bud, but he seems all hyped up on them so I"m sure he would have only a good review of them.
I know that I loved my Falken"s (ZE-512"s) until they wore down a bit... maybe half way or a little more. Then they started slipping and sliding all over the place in the wet, but still not as bad as the Bad~Year"s.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:35 AM

ORIGINAL: 04Mazda3Sport

Sorry about the delay, I had to take a mini road-trip yesterday to fetch my mom from Providence, RI (my brother relayed her up to Providence on his way to his in-laws on the Cape).

So, to the outstanding questions:
[ul][*]Yes, I paid $120 per tire for the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires (and yes, they were on closeout and are apparently all sold out at this point).[*]The new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires have since been reduced in price from $180 to $163, and given that they offer a longer tread life than the tires that I have, might actually be a pretty good deal (in fact, had they been $163 when I bought mine, I might have opted for them instead).[*]How do they handle? Hmmm, tough to qualify.
[ul][*]Do they handle way-way-way better than the Eagle RS-As (regardless of road conditions, including bone dry roads)? Yes, and then some. In addition, the twitchiness in the steering and handling on dry roads (something that I really did not like about my car when I first got it) has been completely eliminated since the tire swap.[*]Do they handle as well as summer tires on dry warm pavement? No, probably not, however, unless you are "tracking" your car on weekends, you probably will not notice the difference.[*]Do they handle as well as dedicated winter tires in deep snow? No,most likelynot, however, I have driven a considerable number of miles on them in snow up to about six inches, and they perform very well. That and they perform much-much better than the Michelin X-Ice tires on my mother-in-laws Corolla when the roads are simply cold and dry or cold and wet (which is about 98% of the time around here as New Hampshire is very good at clearing the roads after a snow or ice event).[/ul][/ul]

Old 12-24-2008, 11:48 AM

I saw a post on a different board where someonereplaced the Eagle RS-As withKumho Ecsta LX Platinum tires on their Mazda3, and they report a fairly significant improvement in ride, handling and snow traction. I just checked, and these tires are on a "Special" right now at TireRack for $120. You might want to take a look.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: shipo

Sorry about the delay, I had to take a mini road-trip yesterday to fetch my mom from Providence, RI (my brother relayed her up to Providence on his way to his in-laws on the Cape).

So, to the outstanding questions: [ul][*]Yes, I paid $120 per tire for the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires (and yes, they were on closeout and are apparently all sold out at this point).[*]The new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires have since been reduced in price from $180 to $163, and given that they offer a longer tread life than the tires that I have, might actually be a pretty good deal (in fact, had they been $163 when I bought mine, I might have opted for them instead).[*]How do they handle? Hmmm, tough to qualify. [ul][*]Do they handle way-way-way better than the Eagle RS-As (regardless of road conditions, including bone dry roads)? Yes, and then some. In addition, the twitchiness in the steering and handling on dry roads (something that I really did not like about my car when I first got it) has been completely eliminated since the tire swap.[*]Do they handle as well as summer tires on dry warm pavement? No, probably not, however, unless you are "tracking" your car on weekends, you probably will not notice the difference.[*]Do they handle as well as dedicated winter tires in deep snow? No,most likelynot, however, I have driven a considerable number of miles on them in snow up to about six inches, and they perform very well. That and they perform much-much better than the Michelin X-Ice tires on my mother-in-laws Corolla when the roads are simply cold and dry or cold and wet (which is about 98% of the time around here as New Hampshire is very good at clearing the roads after a snow or ice event).[/ul][/ul]
I'm glad to hear that they handle very well in the snow, since i personally believe that our city guys that clear the roads fell off the short bus far too many times. They actually drive around on the snow with no intention on ever lowering the plow to do any good. I never had the RSA's, but they have to be better than the first 2 sets of tires I've had. Thank you Dale, and Richard. I think I might have just decided on which tires I would like to buy. Much appreciated!

Old 12-24-2008, 12:00 PM

I never had the RSA's, but they have to be better than the first 2 sets of tires I've had. Thank you Dale, and Richard. I think I might have just decided on which tires I would like to buy. Much appreciated!
WIth the exception of the "retread" tires that were on the neglected 1966 Plymouth Valiant 200 (with the bullet proof "Slant-Six") that I purchased out of a farm field in 1976, the RS-As are absolutely the worst tires Ihave everhad on any car I have ever owned (and I have owned a lot of cars and even more sets of tires). Said another way, while they may well be "as-bad-as" your first two sets of tires, I kind of doubt that they are in any way "better". [8D]

Just a note, it seems that I was making my post about the Kumhos right about the time you made your post, and so you may have missed it. If so, look back a couple of posts.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:43 PM

Thank you Dale. I didn't happen to see that. Much obliged.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:03 PM

I'm thinking of getting the Yokohama ADVAN S.4 ($145.00) or Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid ($110.00) at Tire Rack. Has anyone bought from Tire Rack? If so how was your experience? and if any problems with find installers?

Old 12-24-2008, 09:57 PM

ORIGINAL: M3 For Second Time

I'm thinking of getting the Yokohama ADVAN S.4 ($145.00) or Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid ($110.00) at Tire Rack. Has anyone bought from Tire Rack? If so how was your experience? and if any problems with find installers?
Over the last six years, I have purchased five sets of tires (and two sets of wheels) from TireRack, and each transaction has been enjoyable and trouble free. I highly recommend them.