Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

New 30% tint on my Mazda!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New 30% tint on my Mazda!

OK, here's what I found:

What's inspected during the annual inspection?

For all 1988 or newer model vehicles only the windshield and windows directly to the right and left of the driver are inspected.
Windshield
Glass coating or sunscreening devices

[ul][*]Cannot extend downward beyond the AS-1 line; or [*]Cannot extend more than 5 inches from the top of the windshield without an AS-1 line.[*]If coating or sunscreening devices are used above the AS-1 line, they cannot be red or amber in color.[/ul]

Front Windows
Windows immediately to the right and left of the driver, which open, cannot have less than 20% light transmittance.

[hr]

What are the actual state driving laws for after-market window tinting?

View the reference in the Transportation code :
ยง 547.613. Restrictions on Windows

Windshield
Glass coating or sunscreening devices
[ul][*]Cannot extend downward beyond the AS-1 line; or [*]Cannot extend more than 5 inches from the top of the windshield without an AS-1 line.
[ul][*]If sunscreening devices are used above the AS-1 area of the windshield, the light transmittance value must be 25% or more;[*]The luminous reflectance of any additional sunscreening devices used must be 25% or less;[*]Sunscreening device cannot be red, blue or amber in color.[/ul][/ul]
Side Windows
All side windows must have at least 25% light transmittance and luminous reflectance of 25% or less, over the entire surface area of the window.

*Rear (back) Window
[ul][*]If vehicle has left and right outside mirrors, there is no minimum light transmission requirement.[*]If not equipped with both outside mirrors, the rear window must have no less than 25% light transmittance and a luminous reflectance of 25% or less.[*]The manufacturers installed glazing shade band is excluded.[/ul]
[hr]

Does my window require a window tint label?

ยง 547.609. SUNSCREENING DEVICES PERMITTED. A sunscreening device must have a label that:
(1) is legible;
(2) contains information required by the department on light transmission and luminous reflectance of the device; and
(3) is permanently installed between the material and the surface to which the material is applied.

Note: This label should be provided by the installer.

These were taken directly from the TxDPS site. I highlighted the different inspection and driving laws in red.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/tint.htm

Old 02-10-2008, 11:13 AM

[*]The manufacturers installed glazing shade band is excluded.

Thank god for that, since my factory tint on my wifes Explorer and my F150 is 18% [8D]

I misread that, my truck and Explorer are both illegal in the stock form in Texas [:-]

Old 02-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think that applies to factory installed tint, but it certainly does to dealer installed (mine) and consumer installed tint (bkey.)

Old 02-10-2008, 03:36 PM

I know in my 2000 Eddie Bauer Explorer it had factory on all the side windows, the 2 fronts were bought from a dealer in Australia where it was legal for the 18% on the drivers and passengers front windows [8D]

Old 02-10-2008, 08:16 PM

Just uploaded a few quick pics ofmy car after tint....sorry don't have any befores, but you'll get the idea... they're on the 1st page because I edited my original post. Have a look see if ya want!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:28 AM

30% looks nice! enjoy!

ive got 10% all-around with 6" eyebrow on the windshield.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:02 AM

I like what you've done with your ride, Lupae! Looks nice...

Old 02-11-2008, 08:52 AM

Am i gonna get banged on my inspection for having 5% all the way around? i live in pa if that helps

Old 02-11-2008, 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: sizzlin07

I like what you've done with your ride, Lupae! Looks nice...
thank you.

ORIGINAL: npoll212

Am i gonna get banged on my inspection for having 5% all the way around? i live in pa if that helps
i live in PA and have a 10% tint all-around. i have no problems passing inspection with the tint. though, i get inspection done at an independent garage. mazda refuses to inspect my car. i think if you find a reputable independent garage and inquire about the tint beforehand, you should be fine. good luck.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Lev

^ If you don't minde me asking, why does mazda refuse to inspect your car?

Quick Reply: New 30% tint on my Mazda!