Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

MS3 clunk in front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Default RE: MS3 clunk in front suspension

When i lose traction and i get wheel hop my suspension makes some noises, and some clicking, but only when iam losing traction. I think its the TC kicking in and its trying to not let the wheels spin. thats how it was in my 4X4 explorer it clicked and stuff all the time while the wheel was turned. I never really hear the noises when im driving regularly.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:20 PM

I finally resolved my front end clunk noise and thought I share my results. The noise was generated by an engine mount that had not yet totally failed. There was a gap in the pad assembly between the rubber and the bracket and the clunk was the engine shifting position. I originally (at 150 total miles) had the #4 engine mount bolt replaced as part of the Open Recall 4607F. The noise worsened with time and eventually I could tell during engine starts and stops that the engine was rattling/loose under the hood (at 5000 miles). The Mazda Dealer replaced the engine mounts on both sides including the bracket, rubber and the bolt. Everything is tight, no clunks, and I think that there is more power delivered to the wheels now as well. I'm very glad to have resolved this issue, I really don't think I could lived with the car the way it was. You can search for the Mazda Recall 4607F on the internet, I obtained a letter to the dealer explaining the issue and the VIN range that this problem applies to (including part numbers for the replacement parts, etc).

Old 02-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Good info, kavorka! Thanks for posting it.
It seems that engine mounts are a common issue w/Mazdas and especially the Speed3's (Speed6's?)
I am aware of the first engine mount tsb, where a few owners actually lost their engines to the road!! Bad news and I hope Mazda is working on this problem for the long term.
SU (Street Unit) is working on replacement mounts (#'s 1,3 & #4 I believe) for the 3 series now,in either 62 or 90 durosand they should be available at any moment. Thanks to the forums and other members posting issues such as you have here, I have learned not to trust Mazdas mounts and think I will go this way. Thanks again for your input.
I have already replaced the #1 (rear)mount w/a 70 duro AWR.