Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

MS3 clunk in front suspension

Old 05-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Default MS3 clunk in front suspension

Anybody else have a problem when backing up your MS3 and turning, something in the front suspension clunks or pops? I'm calling the dealer tomorrow as it keeps getting worse. Just wondered if anyone else had the problem and knows what's up.........

Old 05-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Default RE: MS3 clunk in front suspension

i've heard this complaint from a few different MS3 owners and all that i can say is that the MS3's have a tighter suspension than the other ones. i think that it is just the suspensions bushings breaking in. i have personally had this problem when i have installed drops or lifts on cars or trucks. it goes away eventually. the dealership will probably just tell you that they have had the same problems on some of the other cars on the lot.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:18 AM

does it just make a popping noise when u turn??

Old 05-17-2007, 06:38 PM

mine does this too. havent done anything about it because i havent thought there was anything wrong with it. mine also makes a loud clicking noise when i shift into reverse almost everytime. goes away if i drive the car for a while then go into reverse again. any ideas?

Old 05-17-2007, 07:34 PM

ORIGINAL: esloyer

mine does this too. havent done anything about it because i havent thought there was anything wrong with it. mine also makes a loud clicking noise when i shift into reverse almost everytime. goes away if i drive the car for a while then go into reverse again. any ideas?
i just have a plain old mazda3, atx, and it does the same exact thing.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:37 PM

dentiger - yes, it's more of just a pop - definitely in the suspension ( not drive train - it's not a reverse gear issue ). Again, it only happens when you are turning in reverse and only after you turn the wheel over about half its range. I did a little experiment this morning where I started out in reverse for about 3 feet and then turned the wheel back and forth a few times as I backed up before I did the full reverse turn coming out of my garage - no pop. Now I'm wondering if some bushings settle while the car is parked and then have to pop loose the next time I drive. Will try this again when I back out of my parking space at work.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:45 PM

hmm... when i lowered my car, i accidentally pulled apart the strut mount bearing. and i forcefully put it back together.
every since that my car made a popping/clunking kinda noise when i turned...
i had to replace the bearing, which wasnt that hard.

but like i said, i doubt it that that's ur problem.....
have someone listen and feel the struts mounts (with the hood open) when u turn the wheel... that might help u found the source of ur problem/noise

Old 05-20-2007, 01:46 AM

I have a 2007 Mazda 3 Touring and it does the same thing when I am reversing and turning the wheel to the right ( clock-wise). Also, from a full stop, no matter how fast or slow I start going, I can sometimes hear a light noise coming from the right rear. Pretend you have a box of things in yourtrunk and when you accelerate it hits the back wall of the trunk.That is what the noise sounds like. My friend has a 2004 and it does the same thing. He took it to the dealer and they couldn't figure it out. O wells, it doesn't happen that often, so I can live with it. And no, I do not have anything heavy in the trunk, just a jacket.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:19 PM

My 2007 Speed 3 has 4k miles and it has been making a "clunk" noise as far as I can remember. Primarily slow speed, turning into a driveway or uneven ground where the driver front wheel can drop a little (or the compression from the weight of the car is slightly lifted). Also on bumpy surface when turning, such as an intersection. When it was new I thought it was some sort of artifact of a stiff suspension, and it was not severe. It is getting worse with time and is really starting to bother me, I really don't think a car this new should make such an awful noise (ie. this is not a "normal" sound). I took it into the dealer for inspection and they tell me that they have found nothing wrong. The test drives by the dealer are unable to duplicate the problem. I'm tempted to find a surface near the dealer that can reliably repeat the noise so I can drive with them. It is starting to make me feel like there could be a safety issue associated with the ultimate failure.

Joe

Old 12-19-2007, 11:39 AM

i honestly havent experienced this...this happens when u turn it either way?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MS3 clunk in front suspension