Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

MPG sliding in winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Default MPG sliding in winter

I found my MPG (3i touring sedan, atx) is sliding from above 28 in Sep/Oct to 24+ now in December. Temp has been sliding as well, with lows at daytime reaching 15 deg-F. There seems to be a strong correlation between the air temp and the mpg. Has anybody (esp friends from Canada and from the west plains in the US) noticed it? I wonder if it's the car buring rich when cold, or they add stuff to the gas in winter......speculations?
________
Marijuana Bubbler

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:33 AM
Default RE: MPG sliding in winter

colder air, denser oxygen mixture, more fuel added to engine to compensate by the computer.

Yes, you get worse mileage in the winter (but better performance)

Old 12-19-2007, 06:43 AM

I noticed the difference in mileage this week as well. For the past 2 months, i've been averaging 100-120 miles, for a quarter of the tank. This week i've gotten about 75 miles for a quarter of a tank.

I live in the midwest, Northeastern Indiana.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:04 AM

Cold air, xtra idling, and my winter tires all = poorer gas mileage. But it's not an SUV guzzler.

Still turning 9.5 per 100 kms. So, I could still probably get 600 k's to a tank. But, I never let it get that low in the winter. Could freeze.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Lev

Yeah i feel the effect too. I normally get about 320 miles to a tank, now i get about 280. i live in New York and its been cold, but i do feel the difference in power. The car picks up better and it feels more torquey. The car's performance improves, but it sucks up more gas. Also running the heat uses more gas because it takes more energy to heat up cold dense air.I hate how having the windshield defogger on automatically has the outside air coming in and only the outside air. I finally figured out that if you set the air to blow on your feet then some of the air will come out of the defogger vents, but you need to have the fan speed on 2 or higher to get the effects of the defogger. This will save on gas so you don't need to heat up the outside air. Also, remember to press the recirculate button because when you aimthe airtowards your feet the outside air light comes on and you are able to have the air recirculate.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:34 PM

Thanks, sstlaure, for the thermodynamics explanation! Makes sense. I have noticed the performance change as well, thisseems to relate to the cold air intake mod most people have (don't know the MPG though).

Thanks to Lev for the tips on heating, I live in Niskayuna, NY (Indian word meaning high taxes), north to New Paltz. It's the smallest town in the smallest county in NY State.

________
Nexium sickness

Old 12-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Lev

That'sfunny because New Paltz is french for high taxes also. haha. I guess the original settlers already knew that New York would become the state with the highest property taxes and gas tax and all other taxes.That's probably why they call it the empire state, because you need to own an empire to afford it here. I'm glad i was able to help, and i thought Niskayuna was just outside ofAlbany, so itcan't be that tiny.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:51 PM

Lev, you got it. The county is Schenectady (pronunced sganectady, a Dutch word for high taxes). NY is also one of a few states that still collect Mortgage taxes, 1 point of your mortgage, whenever you buy or re-finance. THE Empire state sucks, literally.
________
California medical marijuana dispensaries

Old 12-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

^ ^ ^ Hahahahahaha!!! ^ ^ ^

WIN!! You DO have a sense of humor!! And a "thing" about words from other cultures that mean "high taxes" too.
I LOVE it!! ROFL!!

Old 12-21-2007, 12:01 AM

Your transmission fluid and engine oil thicken slightly when cold, it takes extra energy to move your vehicle until these two fluidswarm up.

I don't agree running the heat burns more gas. Agasoline engine generatestoo muchheateven in the coldestweather- it doesn't have to work harder to create more heat just because you turn the fan on.

Quick Reply: MPG sliding in winter