Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Motor swap???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 07:59 PM
Default Motor swap???

I have a 2.0 mazda motor from a totaled 06 mazda 3, I want to buy this 07 mazdaspeed3 with a blown motor but it has turbo, can I swap just the motors with or without using the turbo? I'm not interested in using the turbo if I can't I'll just buy a new kit I just need to know if my 06 2.0 will go in this 07 mazdaspeed3 that already has a blown 2.3. Let me know!

Old 11-14-2016, 06:52 PM
Default We considered the 2.0 but were persuaded

That it was not compatible. That's why we went with the 2.3. Do you know how to post pics on the forum.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by mchaloux
That it was not compatible. That's why we went with the 2.3. Do you know how to post pics on the forum.
Not compatible? As I understand it, the 2.0 and the 2.3 are basically the same engine.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:07 AM
Default Interesting, we had contacted a couple of recycle yards

Originally Posted by shipo
Not compatible? As I understand it, the 2.0 and the 2.3 are basically the same engine.
And they said there would be a lot of differences between the engines. They didn't say it was impossible but that if we were looking for a straight swap to stick with the 2.3. Even still the 2.3 we got had a different flywheel. Odd?

Old 11-15-2016, 09:33 AM
Default Is there a tech section where we can post

Pics? Say a faq section showing engine rebuilds and swaps. I'd like to get my daughters' car back on the road but I don't know these cars.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by mchaloux
Pics? Say a faq section showing engine rebuilds and swaps. I'd like to get my daughters' car back on the road but I don't know these cars.
Which model and year of Mazda3 do you have?

Old 11-15-2016, 02:18 PM
Default Her car is a 2003, great little car

Started knocking so we tore it apart. 1 big end connecting rod bearing had failed. That's when we started investigating which engines may work. We picked up a 2.3 from Canada and brought it down to Missouri. My sons in laws installed it into the car but at some point loosened the vibration damper consequently throwing the timing out.

I was just at my daughter's and found broken and bent valves. Her old head is in pretty good shape. We plan on installing it. I had also noticed the engine was extremely difficult to rotate even with the head off. I loosened the transmission and it now rotates much easier, so something is amiss there too. I wanted to post a pic of the piston that had the broken valves to see if we can still use it. If course we do have a spare if need be.

Sorry this is so long. I'm on the Audi forum and appreciate they aren't all the same. Just wondering where the best place to go with this is.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:14 PM

More and more I hear of issues with the 2.3 liter motor; some run seemingly forever, others croak after 80,000 miles. The hot setup according to many is to use a 2.5 liter Ford Duratec engine (same basic motor), swap manifolds from the Mazda motor to the Ford motor and buy one adapter plate (something to do with the intake manifold), and then drop it in (same mounts and all).

Reviews from folks with 2.5 liter Gen 1 Mazda3 cars are pretty good, I mean, what's not to like, same fuel economy, much better power, and rock solid reliability. To top it off, low mileage Ford motors can be had for as little as $400.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:56 PM
Default In our case my daughter was quite satisfied with the stock power

She has three kids and now that they're older and don't require the humongous car seats, it works quite nice.

I've got to sort out the timing, flywheel and piston issue, where's the best place to go for advice on those?