Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Melted tail lens

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sparky202
I was just thinking, as dangerous as that can be, if your problem could have been caused by something very uncommon. If the brake light element broke just right, it may have laid across the tail light element and caused both elements to be burning with the headlights on. This would definitely produce enough heat to melt a lens in a small amount of time. Like I said, just thinking.

Was hoping someone would say something like this, infact it was the original story that I put forward after the service that some dumb idiot when they put a new passenger front headlamp globe in that they had the ignition on thus creating a short in the back breaking the element/ globe thus the lens not only cracked open but melted when it blew off.

Currently, i am trying to get mazda to under "special warranty" to renew the tail lamp but falling onto deaf ears. I have already made a complaint to the Mazda higher authorities to this matter (never got a response) neither less to say this is the second incident that happened at the same place for a service- I will not be going EVER again.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:17 PM
Default This happened to mine too! i noticed it over a year ago! same car 07 hb both rear lig

This happened to my 07 Mazda 3 HB I am trying to find a recall because the mazda people just want my 800 dollars.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyGilbs
This happened to my 07 Mazda 3 HB I am trying to find a recall because the mazda people just want my 800 dollars.
This is a major problem....you say $800. I can get a 2nd hand tail light assembly (complete unit) for $60 each in Australia. However, in saying that I did get a quote from a auto electric to convert to LED for $235 for both in total and that will stop the bastards from blowing the globe.

The auto elec did make a mention that if anyone changes the globe thats not the right AMP or current and short out other electrical it will blow out a globe to a point it where it pop out....mmm very concerning....Mazda did ring back and said that it will $295 to replace one side ( what a joke) and that no special warranty wont be claimed as there was no recall. Suffice to say that more that than 18 people have claimed the same thing...funny that!.

Looks like I be converting to LED might be a bit deer but in the long run its cheeper considering the flash point of these globe if not installed properly.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:13 PM
Default Tail Lights on 2007 Mazda 3 HB Melting

Originally Posted by stevenbehr
This is a major problem....you say $800. I can get a 2nd hand tail light assembly (complete unit) for $60 each in Australia. However, in saying that I did get a quote from a auto electric to convert to LED for $235 for both in total and that will stop the bastards from blowing the globe.

The auto elec did make a mention that if anyone changes the globe thats not the right AMP or current and short out other electrical it will blow out a globe to a point it where it pop out....mmm very concerning....Mazda did ring back and said that it will $295 to replace one side ( what a joke) and that no special warranty wont be claimed as there was no recall. Suffice to say that more that than 18 people have claimed the same thing...funny that!.

Looks like I be converting to LED might be a bit deer but in the long run its cheeper considering the flash point of these globe if not installed properly.
Yes, I know it could be cheaper to convert to LED's and that it may be more cost effective and especially safer but I (we) shouldn't have to pay for something that we didn't cause. Obviously it's a manufacturing defect and Mazda should manage and solve this with the customers in mind. That said, they don't want to call a recall because they lose big bucks. Of course, it isn't a problem if we pay for it. I went to Mazda yesterday and they charged for a diagnostic and determined that it was a wrong bulb that was put in somewhere in the cars line of owners. The problem with their ignorant determination is that these bulbs are indeed the correct bulbs and they still continue to melt. I, having studied engineering at one point, believe that the power to the bulbs fluxes or increase after an extended period of use (30+ minutes). When they ran the (3 hour 20 minute) diagnostic, they tested the power to the light bulbs and came to a result that they were similar to other cars the same make and year. My thought.. Did they even test them?

After getting my car back, eager to return home, I noticed that my tail lights didn't work when I turned my car on, and that a plastic cover (that belongs below the glove box) was still left on the floor of my car.

The service and diagnostic was ****.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:03 PM
Default Why wasn’t this a recall / RED LED Globe is a temp fix

So many instances of this issue occurring yet it isn’t a recall. My 07 hatchback had the same issue. Why wasn’t this a recall?m, does anyone know how we get this looked into further? I think it is absolutely absurd that anyone with issue had to pay to get it resolved. It is so widespread. I see it every day on other commuters vehicles.
I had 1 lens replaced as the car failed the roadworthy (not by Mazda) but within 6 months the lens had melted all over again.
I replaced the bulbs with RED T20 LED globes off eBay ($25AUD pair) happy days for now. I had to also also replace the globe sockets ($20AUD pair). Much cheaper than replacing both lenses.

But why wasn’t this a recall...????
All the best guys!

Old 08-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Default Apparently it is the socket that causes the issue

I just found the below, stating that it is a fault in the socket which causes the globe to glow to bright and get too hot.
Too which they say Mazda fixed the issue with the socket so buy genuine sockets. But if they realised the issue, why wasn’t it a recall to replace the sockets before everyone’s tail lights started melting...?

Old 11-08-2019, 06:04 PM
Default Mazda 3 LED bulb replacement RED T20 LED

Hi there I have the same issue with our Mazda 3, do you have part numbers of LED bulbs you used plus where you got them from. I’m in Auckland New Zealand but would purchase out of Aussi if necessary or provide the e-bay link??. I’m keen to do the same fix. Thanks Jeremy

Originally Posted by Sheargold
So many instances of this issue occurring yet it isn’t a recall. My 07 hatchback had the same issue. Why wasn’t this a recall?m, does anyone know how we get this looked into further? I think it is absolutely absurd that anyone with issue had to pay to get it resolved. It is so widespread. I see it every day on other commuters vehicles.
I had 1 lens replaced as the car failed the roadworthy (not by Mazda) but within 6 months the lens had melted all over again.
I replaced the bulbs with RED T20 LED globes off eBay ($25AUD pair) happy days for now. I had to also also replace the globe sockets ($20AUD pair). Much cheaper than replacing both lenses.

But why wasn’t this a recall...????
All the best guys!

Old 01-09-2020, 02:55 PM
Default Melting tail lights

I too have a 2008 3 hatchback with tail lights that melted. The dealership ship said there was nothing they could do, and had "never heard of this problem" what a bunch of liars. This was in 2011 I think. I was naive at the time and just accepted their answer when I should have fought for it. I ended up paying way too much on a new set since both were completely melted. It looked like my back up lights were on when I hit the breaks because all of the red was so warped and full of holes. I will never buy a Mazda every again. I thought I had just gotten a lemon but apparently I am not alone.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Krameryah
Hello all. I own an '07 Mazda 3 HB with about 53K miles. I just noticed that the red inner brake lens on the driver's side has a dime size hole in it. It appears to have melted right above the bulb and white light is visible. The passenger side lens is also slightly melted although not through the plastic. These are the original bulbs and there is no damage to the outer clear cover or sockets. The dealer has never seen this and has no idea as to the cause. Any ideas? Thank you.
melted taillight

I got pulled over last night by a sheriff and he told me that all you could see was white on my taillight even when I had push the brake I had no idea what he was speaking of and further investigation looks to me like mine might be melted or at least just melting the coating off the lens baby mines in 07 Mazda hatchback