Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazdaspeed3 - Oil Getting Dark Fast

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Default RE: Mazdaspeed3 - Oil Getting Dark Fast

destrux - good information...thanks.

I ran the dealership supplied oil for the first 5,000 miles and then went to synthetic. I think I have read that the factory fill is actually Motorcraft Blend so conventional was actually a small step back at 5,000 miles.

Based on a general observation from a a very knowledgeble source on BITOG I won't be using Mobil 1 in the future. It seems that the general agreement is that Mobil 1 used to be excellent oil, but the most recent formulations are not at the same level. It is still quality oil and won't hurt an engine, but thereseem to bebetter options, often for less money.The initial recommendation was for Pennzoil Platinum, or Quaker State synthetic,that many people are getting 2 for 1 in parts of the country.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:15 PM

It's amazing how good oil can look on white paper when it appears so dark on the dipstick.

For your viewing pleasure.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8587/825D27A24D3B4F3E85393DF5AD78ACCF.jpg[/IMG]

The upper three spots were pulled out of the engines when warm. Left is from my 89 4Runner with about 1,000 miles on the oil (Castrol Syntec Blend), the upper/center was out of my sister-in-laws 98 Pontiac Sunfire with about 3,000 miles on the oil (Pennzoil Platinum)and 205,000 miles on the car. The right one is the Mazdaspeed 3with about 3,000 miles on the oil (Mobil 1).

The lower two spots are the 4Runner and the Mazdaspeed 3 pulled out when the engine was cold and had sat overnight. The Mazdaspeed 3 looked much darker on the stick, but after it dried it looks about the same.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:42 AM

Hey all I am pretty new here but have been through the whole oil thing on a few other forums. Blackdiamond did you ever get the UOA? From what I understand its not really all that bad if your oil is getting black. I mean I guess if you have black sludge that is another story but when I was doing really frequent oil changes in my acura the oil was pretty dang dark after 3k miles. The best thing you can do to keep an eye on things is get an oil analysis every once in a while. http://www.blackstone-labs.comThese guys are great it costs about $22 for an oil analysis and they don't just give a sheet full of numbers they give you a nice summary of whats going on with your engine. For a little extra you can also have them run a test that determines how often you should change you oil and it is different with everyone depending on your driving habits. I really want to get a Speed3 if I do I will be doing the oil analysis often its cheap and can alert you to some bad problems ahead of time. Also I see a lot of people running synthetics in thier speed 3 but in other threads on this forum I have seen people say to run regular oil with the rotary engines. Is it different for the speed3s?

Old 08-08-2007, 02:13 PM

I have a sample in the mail for a Dyson Analysis. Result to follow.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:48 PM

I got the results of my Dyson Analsis back for the Mobil 1 and I won't ever run it again in any car that I own, the additive package didn't seem to be doing its job. Some of the wear may still be break-in related, but the level of wear was way beyond acceptable. I have Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 in the car currently and am considering switching to 10w-30 to better fight viscosity breakdown and other problems that resulted from fuel dilution.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: blackdiamond

I got the results of my Dyson Analsis back for the Mobil 1 and I won't ever run it again in any car that I own, the additive package didn't seem to be doing its job. Some of the wear may still be break-in related, but the level of wear was way beyond acceptable. I have Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 in the car currently and am considering switching to 10w-30 to better fight viscosity breakdown and other problems that resulted from fuel dilution.
Couple thoughts:

1. If you have fuel dilution of any significance, doesn't that mean something is wrong with your engine?

2. Re: 10w30 - Unless you live where the overnight low is70 and the daytime high is 100, wouldn't you be concerned about lack of oil circulation at start up? Thestandard theoryis that most engine wear happens at start up, not from viscosity breakdown - right?

Old 08-14-2007, 09:48 AM

Hey blackdiamond how often do you change your oil and what region of the country are you in? Also did the sheet tell you how often you should change your oil? I am here in vegas and these summers here are just rough man and I may jump into a speed3 soon so this may be good info. I don't really have a problem with changing oil every 3k but if you are using synth it get a little expensive. I heard pennzoil is good stuff. On the acura forum guys were saying the regular dino Pennzoil had the same additive pack as Mobil 1 synth. I was thinking of just running that stuff and change oil frequently.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:58 PM

ORIGINAL: jtejedor

Hey blackdiamond how often do you change your oil and what region of the country are you in? Also did the sheet tell you how often you should change your oil? I am here in vegas and these summers here are just rough man and I may jump into a speed3 soon so this may be good info. I don't really have a problem with changing oil every 3k but if you are using synth it get a little expensive. I heard pennzoil is good stuff. On the acura forum guys were saying the regular dino Pennzoil had the same additive pack as Mobil 1 synth. I was thinking of just running that stuff and change oil frequently.
I don't believe in synthetic. Marketing ismore sizzle than substance thesedays. If you live somewhere harsh like Vegas, change your oil aggressively in summer, and you'll be all right with dino.

Have you heard the AC system on Mazda 3's can be weak and finnicky? Check that out before you buy one, if you live in the desert.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:05 PM
SOC

blackdiamond,

My speed3 experience has been almost identical to yours. For the first two oil changes I was suprised how quickly the oil blackened. I went to Mobile1 Full Synthetic in my third oil change (5,000 miles). I am almost at 7,000 miles andthe oil is pretty black. Inaddition it hasa fuel smellandand feel of being thinner than the fresh stuff I took out of the bottle.Two other guys I work with have speed3sand I plan on checking with them. Iknow both switched out to syntheticat about the same point asmyselfand I am curious if their oil hasa similar appearance and smell.I will report backmy findings.

Unfortunately, I thinka trip(s) to the dealer to raisea lot of hell are likely to beinmy future.