Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazdaspeed3 - Oil Getting Dark Fast

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Mazdaspeed3 - Oil Getting Dark Fast

Are you noticing any fuel like smell from the oil? If that's the case,you should be able to notice it from a simple smell test.

I've got nearly 10K on Mobil1 5W-30 and it's just now starting to turn color. The same was true of my old Civic even after 160K miles.
Something seems terribly wrong if yours is dirtying up that quickly.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:31 PM

try using racing motor oil such as AMS oil Red Line or Royal Purple. I have been using AMS oil in my 6 since day 1 and am getting 28mpg in the city. The oil looks brand new even after 7,000 miles. I drive my 6 pretty hard. I also use it in my Shifter kart. It revs up to 12,000 every lap. I never have a problem with it.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:44 PM

There is a fuel smell to the oil which is why I'm thinking fuel dilution.

virgin1 - If your car isn't a Speed 3 with turbo it is apples and oranges. I'm not sure what you have, but it looks like a standard 3 in your avitar.

mazda_guy - Amsoil, Redline and Royal Purple have racing oils, but are not all racing oil. There is no doubt that they are all quality, but I am going to defer to an industry expert on which oil to run and I'm open to anything assuming I can get Mazda and/or the dealer to go along with it.

The suggestion for the next oil change is Pennzoil Platinum or Quaker State Synthetic pending the oil analysis because they have better aromatic resistance which he suspects is the problem.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:55 PM

The recommendation was also to use 10w-30 instead of 5w-30 because it is better against viscosity breakdown.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Old 07-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm. That was post 383 for me. Do you even know who produced the 383?

Old 07-04-2007, 11:21 PM

Hold on Big Shooter, not trying to wiz in your cereal. I'm listening to what you post. All I was saying was that the DISI engine in the Speed3, Speed6 and CX-7seems to have some issues that your 3 and Civic didn't. I had fantastic result with Mobil 1 in my Camaro and Tundra so I'm not blaming the oil. I have been doing research on www.bobistheoilguy.comand have been consulting with an oil professional for advise.

Can we still be friends? I certainly didn't intend for my post to be as offensive as you felt it was, sorry.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:22 PM

Isn't a 383 a stroked 350 built by General Motors? It seems that there was also a Mopar 383 somewhere in the past.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: blackdiamond
I have been doing research on www.bobistheoilguy.comand have been consulting with an oil professional for advise.

Can we still be friends? I certainly didn't intend for my post to be as offensive as you felt it was, sorry.
Certainly. It just seemedto me from your reply that you were blowing me off, giving me the short answerwhen I was trying just as hard to think of what may be causing your problem along with every one else who's posted here.
Sorry too if I overreacted. Post edited.

That said, if you are smelling fuel then perhaps the high pressure direct injection system (1600psi!!) hasn't yet been sorted out with regards to piston ring blow-by? I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have done extensive research on this before releasing they system to the public, but w/competition so stiff these days who knows? I wondered about that when I first read of such a hi-press system being used.
Perhaps it's a cracked/compromised compression ring. I've seen that before in fairly new cars that did not use such hi-press in the fuel system or blower. My Civic, which I had known since new and was only 4 years old when I bought it, was one of them. But in that car it wasn't that much of a problem and so I never tore it down. Yours would certainly be a different story.
A simple compression check should tell that story. Acylinder leak downtest would be even better, imo.
What does the owners manual say about oil change intervals, 7500miles like mine?

BTW: That link doesn't seem to work. I tried modifying it several ways and it still wouldn't open for me.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: blackdiamond

Isn't a 383 a stroked 350 built by General Motors? It seems that there was also a Mopar 383 somewhere in the past.
Very good! You're exactly right. I was thinking mostly of the Mopar, but a stroked 350 also qualifies.
Did you look that up, or did you know....?
OK, what's a 348... and no cheating now?

Quick Reply: Mazdaspeed3 - Oil Getting Dark Fast