Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda3 i Touring vs. VW Rabbit vs. keeping the old minivan...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Default RE: Mazda3 i Touring vs. VW Rabbit vs. keeping the old minivan...

ORIGINAL: icspots
I don't really know anything about the rabbit so I won't try to comment on it. I will say that if you're looking for an economical car then the 3 is a good candidate. Also from the way you were describing pros/cons between the two that the 3 would be more practical for you (more back seat space for the kids, extra doors, etc.). Again I haven't driven the rabbit, but the clutch in the 3 is super forgiving so is really easy for new drivers to learn on. Also even though the 3i doesn't have a heated seat option you can pick up a set of carbon fiber seat heaters for as little as $75/side which work very well. Since you like to play on your cars I imagine you'd have no problems installing them. Oh and steering wheel audio controls are awesome!
The clutch on both the Rabbit and the 3 were so good that you would never know that I have not driven a stick shift in over three years. I have no doubt that both kids will have no problem learning to drive either car, and since Wifey also likes cars where she can stir her own, we may actually get back to the point where we are a stick-only family. As far as the heat-seaters go, this car is for me, and while Wifey fusses in the winter without them, she will not be in this car very often.

Regarding the steering wheel controls, yup, our last five cars have had them and I really like the convenience they offer. Like the leather coverings on the shift **** and steering wheel, the extra controls are the little things that become a BIG plus for the Mazda.

For the gauges I can't comment much on the 3i as I have a 3s, and the 3i gauges changed in the last couple of years. On the 3s there are multiple dimming settings for the gauges. With the lights off you can dim down the red (about 6 settings I think). When you turn on the headlights the blue lighting turns on, and whatever brightness you set for the "daytime" (i.e. lights off) will be what they default to when the lights are on. Once the lights are on the button that dims during "daytime" mode will flip it into "nighttime" mode where the blue lighting stays on and the red dims to a very nice nighttime level. Also in night mode the dash dimmer will dim down the entire dash including the cluster, in daytime mode it doesn't. If you really liked the gauges in the 3s you could get one of those (in either sedan or hatchback), however you'll be paying more and the fuel economy will suffer. It's possible to put 3s gauges in a 3i, however you'd have to have the cluster reprogrammed at the dealer as the PATS info is stored in there, and I'm not sure if there's a harness for the blue lights on the 3s cluster on the 3i. Something to look into though.
Hmmm, I am thinking I might drop by the dealership tonight and play with both an i and an s. I will keep you all posted.

As to the fuel computer that can be unlocked AFAIK it can't be unlocked on all of the newer models. I know on '06-'07 models it can be unlocked on any trim level, however on '08+ models Mazda figured out what people were doing and there are specific radios it works with. So I would perhaps look into that before you buy a 3 and assume it will work.
Thanks, good advice. That said, this is not a deal-killer as I do not smoke and the ash tray slot looks like a perfect place for a ScanGauge II.

Lastly I know DSC/TCS are available on some models but I'm not sure which ones. Honestly while they can be nice to have and can help you be a better driver they won't necessarily keep a poor driver who's not paying attention from getting into an accident. I love the Allstate commercial where they have a slowed down video of a guy spilling coffee in his lap and then rear-ending a stopped car. As the car slowly approaches the other one the narrator is detailing all of the safety systems the car has and pointing out that the guy is still getting into an accident. I think they were talking about their accident forgiveness program..... anyway I digress. I would recommend that you only get the 3 with the side airbags as the side impact tests without them were poor.
Personally I could care less about the DSC, especially in a FWD car, however, I have not one but two kids who are going to learn to drive a stick shift in my next car, and here in New Hamster we get our fair share of snow (we have had well over one hundred inches in three of the last six winters). Is the lack of DSC a deal-killer? No. Would it be nice to have? Yes.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: shipo
Hmmm, I am thinking I might drop by the dealership tonight and play with both an i and an s. I will keep you all posted.
The button between the tachometer and speedometer is what toggles the brightness on the day mode, and between day/night mode when the lights are on. It's opposite the trip reset button.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:12 AM

The button between the tachometer and speedometer is what toggles the brightness on the day mode, and between day/night mode when the lights are on. It's opposite the trip reset button.

Great information, thanks!

Old 11-13-2008, 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: UrbanmanUSA
I'm not a fan of VWs or the current generation of German cars in general, as others have touched on, their reliability has not been among the leaders for several years.
Hmmm, the last German car that ever gave me any problems was my 1982 Audi GT Coupe, and even then, the only problem was when the tranny lost its second gear syncro after about 2,000 miles. Since then I've driven a half of a dozen German cars (VWs, Audis, and BMWs), and the most serious unscheduled repair was a burned out taillight (my 1999 328i did that twice). While I have heard story after story after story about the step-brother of the third cousin (twice removed) of the guy across the street's ex-wife who had lots of problems with his (enter the German marque here), I have yet to experience any of that. In addition, I have been a contributing member on a couple of BMW related boards for a decade now, and yes, I hear about a problem from time to time, however, I seriously doubt that those problems are more severe or frequent than from any other marque.
You not only doubt, you seriously doubt.

VW Rabbit reliability: 7/10 http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...t/Reliability/

Mazda3 reliability: 8/10 http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...3/Reliability/

Old 11-13-2008, 09:07 PM

ORIGINAL: UrbanmanUSA

You not only doubt, you seriously doubt.

VW Rabbit reliability: 7/10 http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...t/Reliability/

Mazda3 reliability: 8/10 http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...3/Reliability/
Hmmm, a single set of rankings proved definitively that all German cars are absolutely crap compared to Mazdas. You'll excuse me for not being impressed.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:35 PM

Hmmm, a single set of rankings proved definitively that all German cars are absolutely crap compared to Mazdas. You'll excuse me for not being impressed.
I disagree shipo that all german cars are absolute crap compared to mazdas. Those words aretoo harsh, don't you think? What I made available to you is informationfrom arespected source (nota bmw message board, or somebody's 3rd cousin) stating that in their considered opinion the expected reliability of the mazda 3 exceeds that of the vw rabbit. How you feel about it, and what you do or do not do with it,is up to you. And yes of course I will excuse you.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:45 AM

Well, from my perspective, the 7/10 and 8/10 numbers are "close enough", and if I happened to like the 7/10 car even a little more than the 8/10 car, then I would buy the former, in fact, I would be inclined to buy it even if it was a 5/10 or a 6/10.

The fact is that all manufacturers have issues with some of their cars, Asian, North American and European alike. Said another way, buying any new car is a crap shoot with regard to reliability, true, some have a slightly better chance of being more reliable than others, but is one or two more problems per so many cars or so many miles driven really more important than the driving enjoyment any given car can offer? Obviously I would answer that question as, "Not a chance." That said, I'm well aware that some folks live and die by reliability ratings and make it one of the most important metrics when judging a new car. The glass is half full, or the glass is half empty, take your pick.

For my part I am more than a bit tired of folks smugly pointing out that their boring appliance car was "ranked" as being more reliable than say my former 2002 530i SP 5-Speed. It of course meant nothing to them when I'd point out that, A) the 5er was way-way more fun to drive than their ES300 (or some such), and B) that it did not suffer even a burned out light bulb for the entire 75,000 miles that I drove it.

All of this is just to say, "Please leave the relative reliability rankings out of this discussion." I will choose my next car (be it a Mazda3, a Rabbit, or even a Cobalt) based on driving dynamics, utility, fuel economy and cost. Said another way, I will absolutely take it for granted that any car I buy will easily be able to be driven for 150,000+ miles with relatively minimal amount of fussing about unscheduled repairs.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:40 PM
VB

I will choose my next car (be it a Mazda3, a Rabbit, or even a Cobalt) based on driving dynamics, utility, fuel economy and cost.
Hey, that's not nice. The Cobalt is a cool little car.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:12 PM

I agree with shipo on the reliability ratings. 7 and 8 out of 10 most likely are not significantly different if there is sufficient sample size. Those ratings, for all practical purposes are equal as their difference would not exceed the margin of error. Now, if you were talking a difference of 3 or 4 points I believe you could them make an arguement that one would be more reliable than the other.

The net-net here though is that, IMHO, the 3's cool factor is significantly higher than the VW's.

Nuff said.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:32 AM

1 word MEXICO. the new VW's are made in mexico and as VB had stated earlier, the VW reliability has been going down the tubes for a long time. my aunt had a 2000 VW jetta, and the thing died after like not even 100 000 KM *canada btw*. plus the mazda3 looks better and nicer. and drives soo clean, the 5 speed is amazing (compared to most cars ive driven) and yea. granted you are asking this question in a mazda forum. if you asked this in a VW forum youd get a completely different response.

Quick Reply: Mazda3 i Touring vs. VW Rabbit vs. keeping the old minivan...