Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda3 Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Les
Default Mazda3 Brake Rotors

Anybody have any experience with these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ERP-d...Q5fAccessories

Any thoughts?

Old 08-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

There are a ton of these places from Canada that are popping up on eBay with more or less the same story. I will probably go that route too to aid the EBC pads I am now holding on to, and when the time comes.
They are basically stock replacement rotors that have been cross-drilled, and whatever other hook (e.g. cadmium plating in this case) they are using to differentiate themselves from the other sellers of the same product.
My guess is that as long as you are not expecting to do a lot of seriously hard stops with them, like a track day every weekend, and plan to use them under normal "street" conditions, that they will be fine and act as a replacement rotor would.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Les

Thanks for the reply. That was basically my thought, too.

My car is a 2007 w/about 49,000 miles... I've noticed a bit of pedal modulation and steering wheel shimmy when applying the brakes, so I imagine it's time to either have the rotors machined or replaced (and get new pads, naturally).

Of course, if they can be machined, that's the fiscally-responsible thing to do... but the cross-drilled ones are so sexy..!

...and that's really important, you know, especially to a 53-year-old guy who drives a compact 'station wagon'...

Old 08-25-2009, 11:30 AM
VB

I suppose cross-drilled rotors are fine for your car and for your driving habits, Les. But Richard's right, they're weak...drilled rotors will crack under heavy abuse. If you wanted serious brake performance, slotted would be the way to go.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Les
... but the cross-drilled ones are so sexy..! ...and that's really important, you know, especially to a 53-year-old guy who drives a compact 'station wagon'...
First of all, Les, we drive 5-dr's or hatchbacks, not STATION WAGONS!!
Being only one year older than I, you may remember that station wagons had a window that either flipped up independently of a lower door, or lowered down into a lower door that then flipped down or in some later cases to the side.
Our "tailgate" only flips up as a unit, glass intact, which makes it a hatchback.
That's my reasonin' and I'm stickin' to it!

Second, I agree and that's why I like the cross-drilled ones too.

Third, from everything I have read about the two, cross-drilling is more acceptable for the street. Slotting causes excessive pad wear because just like a knife would, it shaves a little of the pad each time it passes over a slot. Good when you are using the brake in an abusive manner, but not so good for most DD's.

There also seems to be the old wives tale that cross-drilled rotors will stress crack at the edge of the holes. Again to that I say if they are abused they might, but most companies these days are using a multiple angle cuts (like a modern valve job, 2-3 different angles are utilized) to help relieve the hot-spots that cause that effect.

Last edited by virgin1; 08-25-2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: spelling and typos (I was at work, what can I say?)
Old 08-25-2009, 12:35 PM
VB

Yep, that's spot on. On a related manner, when I was at "The Shop" in Norwalk, CT, the other day, I saw an old 911 Turbo with SERIOUS drills. The rotors looked like Swiss cheese...and it was a drag car. Go figure...even with the parachute, I'd still want maximum braking performance. It didn't look like much on the actual rotor was left for the pads to pass over.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:48 PM

Also most of the stock mazda rotors, well most car manufacturers are not able to be machines down anyways. They are not stainless steel, they are made from a composite material that can not be machined. They are cheaper to make and then you have to buy new rotors and not have them machined!

PS if you get those rotors let us know how you like them. I am at almost 37k and will need pads and rotors at some point. Thanks!

Last edited by virgin1; 08-25-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Les
Talking

Originally Posted by virgin1
First of all, Les, we drive 5-dr's or hatchbacks, not STATION WAGONS!!
Being only one year older than I, you may remember that station wagons had a window that either flipped up independently of a lower door, or lowered down into a lower door that then flipped down or in some later cases to the side.
Our "tailgate" only flips up as a unit, glass intact, which makes it a hatchback.
That's my reasonin' and I'm stickin' to it!
Ha! Point well taken, and I will stand down on the station wagon goopla.

Thanks for the input. I suppose I will check out the machine shop first (old school you know... remember - back in the mid 70s - when the only cars that had drilled rotors were race car Porsches... and that initial thought of "What the crap...?!?")... but the ebay listing that I referenced says they are drilled with the multiple angles, as you pointed out.

And... at what, $140-ish? Maybe a little pricey, but that means they're $35/rotor... vs a machine shop which will charge (probably) at least $10-$12 each... I think I'm back to the need for the 'sexiness'..!

Last edited by Les; 08-26-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Don't forget their $47(?) shipping charge added to that too, but for rotors that's still a pretty good deal.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Les
Thanks for the reply. That was basically my thought, too.

My car is a 2007 w/about 49,000 miles... I've noticed a bit of pedal modulation and steering wheel shimmy when applying the brakes, so I imagine it's time to either have the rotors machined or replaced (and get new pads, naturally).

Of course, if they can be machined, that's the fiscally-responsible thing to do... but the cross-drilled ones are so sexy..!

...and that's really important, you know, especially to a 53-year-old guy who drives a compact 'station wagon'...
Now wait, you are only 5 years older than me, and I have been told my MZ3 HB is pretty Sexy
Although they didn't say anything about the drivers looks

Quick Reply: Mazda3 Brake Rotors