Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

mazda3

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 12:16 AM

Yes i thing the chain is stretched i noticed the tensioner was extended too far out. I will call mazda for the parts as for the SST tool i am getting the blind plug bolt and the cams tool. do you know where i can get the other SST for the crank pulley when i need to tighten the bolt.Now as far as the chain is there a certain way it needs to go on the cam gears.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:14 AM

Do you have access to an impact gun? No there is no certain way u have to put the chain on. Leave the bolt on the vvt gear a little loose so u can rotate it then install the chain and move the vvt till the chain is tight then tighten the bolt on the vvt. Make sure to use a wrench to hold the cam not the alignment plate used for timing. Soon as the vvt gear bolt is tight release the tensioner and the chain is on and engine is timed. If u are using an impact gun put the crank pulley on remove the alignment pin and put the bolt into the crankshaft and use the impact gun to tighten the bolt. I never torque the bolt I just use the gun and get it pretty tight. I've done probably around 100+ timing related jobs and have never torqued the crank bolt. If u dont have an impact gun then u will need something in the lines of a band wrench or spanner wrench to hold the crank pulley.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:46 AM

I do have an impact gun (1) how would i know the cams are in the correct positions?
(2) do I remove the blind plug put the crank at TDC and then install the SST bolt to stop the crank from moving?
(3) line up the cams and secure it with SST plate?
I dont need to replace the exhaust cam gear can I just use the same one?
man thank you so much for keeping up with me. I appreciate your time and knowledge

Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 AM

The sst plate only fits one way in the back of the cams it impossible to install it incorrectly. Remove the blind plug and install the sst in there and rotate the crank till the flat side of the crank lobe buts up against it. With the front cover off u should b able to see inside the top of the oil pan and see where the crank butts against the sst. Do not tighten the bolt in the crank with the sst installed in the blind plug or behind the cams. when u hit the crank bolt with the impact it will lock the crank to the pully and still be in time. Yes the exhaust cam u can reuse as long as u replace the diamond washer behind it. Remember to install the crank pully the correct way and before tightening the crank bolt line up the crank position sensor and tighten it down to match the paint mark on the pully.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:51 PM

So i will take off the blind plug from the engine block and install the sst plug bolt and then rotate the crank to TDC. install the head and line both cams kepp the vvt gear bolt losse as well as the exhaust gear bolt losse install the chain
what is this i read about the crank pulley has to line up with the front cover hole.

Thanks man i am asking too many questions

Old 01-06-2013, 07:52 PM

Correct on all. In the front cover there is a small hole that a bolt can be screwed into. In the crank pully there is a hole on one of the spokes. That hole has to match up with the hole on the front cover its for proper alignment of the crank sensor. U can tighten the exhaust cam gear prior to chain install u only need one loose for taking the slack out of the chain between the two gears.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 AM

The shop just called they said it will cost between $600 $650 is right

Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 AM

Can i just buy the intake valves and sit them in my self?

Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 PM

U could but the valves probably won't seat right and the engine won't run right. Here in Oregon it's about $250 for a revalve and seat.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:17 PM

I found on Ebay for $500 complete its off a 2010 model would that work on mine

Quick Reply: mazda3