Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda3 2005 Air Bags failed to open after frontal crash

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 08:25 AM
Default RE: Mazda3 2005 Air Bags failed to open after frontal crash

ORIGINAL: sstlaure

Knowledge is great help still, Some sensitivity won't hurt.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:29 AM

ROMANMOJICA......I hope my explanation above helps you understand why airbags don't deploy in all accidents, and that it stresses wearing your seatbelt properly. I'm sorry for your wife's injuries, it's never easy to see the one's we love in pain, especially when it's avoidable. I hope she recovers quickly. Neither of you should have hit the steering wheel/IP if your belts had been tight. A vast majority of auto injuries could be avoided if people properly restrain themselves. (Both in the vehicle and in how they drive )

I noticed this same post in another Mazda board and all of the replies are screaming lawyer, laywer, lawsuit, lawsuit......all because they don't understand how the system works. I assume you car hasn't been driven since the accident, you should be able to get the information out of the computer that will tell you what all of the sensors were reading before the impact. Any accident investigator should know this.

BTW....How did you hit the wall? Did a truck cut you off or something? I know people can drive crazy in some countries.... I refuse to drive when I'm in Mexico on business because there seem to be no rules of the road, and when I went to Japan, the cab drivers were lunatics.

Here's another photo of the crash:

http://org72.zorpia.com/0/1798/11510570.cf0211.jpg

Thanks sstlaure. We appreciate your technical explanation. I'm glad many here have been educated about the air bags. I don't want any of you to learn it the hard way like we did.

With regards to our seatbelts, yes, we were wearing them. I would think without them, we would have been thrown to the windshield. I mentioned that 14 years ago, I also crashed my '90 toyota corolla head-on but at an angle. I had a cut on my left eye by slamming my head on the wheel even with my seat belt on. There were no air bags then.

I'm not sure... but didn't they invent the air bag because of like what happened to me 14 years ago?

Bottom line: Head on crash + Front section destroyed = Air bags should deploy.

In our meeting, I asked that if the air bags had deployed, my wife wouldn't have her chin split open smashing 4 of her back teeth. He said we don't know that for sure. What do you guys think?

Old 05-30-2006, 10:12 AM

I just came from the MAZDA warehouse last Friday to get all of the remaining stuff from my car.

I saw 3 other MAZDA3's with similar crash damages as mine so I took photos of them with my phone.

One of MAZDA3's had its air bag deploy, here's a photo of that crash:
http://org72.zorpia.com/0/1812/11599895.575c6e.jpg

hmm... doesn't seem any worse than my crash?

Here are photos of the crash of the other MAZDA3's where their air bags did not deploy:
http://org72.zorpia.com/0/1812/11599897.ea8b70.jpg
http://org72.zorpia.com/0/1812/11599898.e2cca1.jpg

i hope some of you who have gotten to similar accidents could share photos and details of their crash

Old 05-30-2006, 12:21 PM

Both of those impacts are significantly different that your accident...the first one was an offset impact (not a center-punch like in your car.) The vehicle is significantly stiffer through that plane and as such, the g-forces transmitted to the occupant associated with the impact would have been higher.

The second impact is clearly an impact across the entire front surface of the car, again the force transmitted through the car would have been much more abrupt. (The damage to the front of your car was mainly the front section wrapping around the barrier, this caused the deceleration during impact to be spread out over a longer period of time....the key to lessening accident injuries.)

I'm glad you're feeling better, and you have now seen 2 other Mazda3's where the airbags deployed just fine.

Old 05-30-2006, 08:17 PM

No offense to anyone,..but i always tend to wonder,..when i see people driving around with their stupid little dogs on their laps,....
I tend to think the seatbelts weren't worn properly,..as in only lap belts were worn,...or that the belts had loosened up,..probably from shifting around, holding the little dog...? Either way,..would have been nice if the airbags did deploy,..but they didn't....so,..count youyr blessing that your not in a wheel chair,...next time leave the stupid little dog at home,..and watch out for center dividers,..pay attention more when driving,...cause that center divider could have been someone on their motorcycle....and hey guess what,..motorycles don't have seatbelts OR airbags. All around though,....Thank God your still here to post your complaint.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:43 AM

ORIGINAL: falerios

No offense to anyone,..but i always tend to wonder,..when i see people driving around with their stupid little dogs on their laps,....
I tend to think the seatbelts weren't worn properly,..as in only lap belts were worn,...or that the belts had loosened up,..probably from shifting around, holding the little dog...? Either way,..would have been nice if the airbags did deploy,..but they didn't....so,..count youyr blessing that your not in a wheel chair,...next time leave the stupid little dog at home,..and watch out for center dividers,..pay attention more when driving,...cause that center divider could have been someone on their motorcycle....and hey guess what,..motorycles don't have seatbelts OR airbags. All around though,....Thank God your still here to post your complaint.
Sorry about that. I guess we were a lot stupid than our little dog. Ya it would have been nice if those air bags deployed but your're right, they didn't so we feel blessed that we're not in a wheel chair. We'll take the stitches, bruises, sprains, broken teeth, and bloody nose. Thank you.

Don't worry, no offense taken.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:48 AM

Both of those impacts are significantly different that your accident...the first one was an offset impact (not a center-punch like in your car.) The vehicle is significantly stiffer through that plane and as such, the g-forces transmitted to the occupant associated with the impact would have been higher.
a3's where the airbags deployed just fine.
Got it! Center-punch crash = no air bag deployment

Old 05-31-2006, 01:00 AM

The second impact is clearly an impact across the entire front surface of the car, again the force transmitted through the car would have been much more abrupt. (The damage to the front of your car was mainly the front section wrapping around the barrier, this caused the deceleration during impact to be spread out over a longer period of time....the key to lessening accident injuries.)

I'm glad you're feeling better, and you have now seen 2 other Mazda3's where the airbags deployed just fine.
by the way, only 1 of those MAZDA3's air bag deployed.. this one had an impact across the entire front surface of the car too but air bags did not deploy:
http://org72.zorpia.com/0/1812/11599897.ea8b70.jpg
i guess they weren't moving fast enough.

with this crash, air bags deployed so he was moving fast enough:
http://org72.zorpia.com/0/1812/11599895.575c6e.jpg

Old 05-31-2006, 04:13 AM

btw hows your dog?

Old 05-31-2006, 04:43 AM

this is a good forum on SRS knowelege. Someone should gather some of th einfo posted, make i tgeneral (as in not reffering ot this crash alone) and make a sticky out of it. I may do it sometime but I'm too tired to do it now.

Quick Reply: Mazda3 2005 Air Bags failed to open after frontal crash