Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda recalls 215,000 vehicles in U.S. for steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:13 PM

Had mine since June 2008. 82k miles on it and so far no power steering issues yet. Works like a charm.

EDIT 9/27/10: I got my notice in last week from Mazda. I still have had no issues with the power steering. I have never held my steering wheel at either lock position for an extended period of time but I am careful to watch myself.

I keep my A/C on and recirculate on all the time and still no issues.

Last edited by knucklehead11; 09-27-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:06 AM

I had to take my wife's 09 to the dealership in Greenville Sc. yesterday for some work unrelated to steering.
While I was there, a lady came in and we started talking.
Her and her husband had bought a Mazda3 for their 15 y/o daughter and wanted her to practice driving in to get her license in.
She and her daughter had been to the DMV and the daughter had parallel parked 5 times.
When they left the DMV the power steering quit and it took both of them to turn the wheel to get the car off the road.
They waited a few minutes and the power steering started working again.
I didn't get a chance to ask the year and miles on the car.
The service manager had interrupted us and I want to the service desk to settle up with them and find out what was wrong with mine.
I ask about the recall and was told that I would probably get a notification in Dec.
We aren't aware of any steering problems with our car.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by donofwon
I had to take my wife's 09 to the dealership in Greenville Sc. yesterday for some work unrelated to steering.
While I was there, a lady came in and we started talking.
Her and her husband had bought a Mazda3 for their 15 y/o daughter and wanted her to practice driving in to get her license in.
She and her daughter had been to the DMV and the daughter had parallel parked 5 times.
When they left the DMV the power steering quit and it took both of them to turn the wheel to get the car off the road.
They waited a few minutes and the power steering started working again.
I didn't get a chance to ask the year and miles on the car.
The service manager had interrupted us and I want to the service desk to settle up with them and find out what was wrong with mine.
I ask about the recall and was told that I would probably get a notification in Dec.
We aren't aware of any steering problems with our car.
As I understand it, parallel parking where you crank the wheel and then hold it at lock is a sure-fire way of causing the power steering system to fail in these cars. Of course it's never a good idea to hold the steering wheel at either lock, but apparently with these cars, the audible groaning and complaining that most cars exhibit is absent.