Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda recalls 215,000 vehicles in U.S. for steering

Old 08-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Default Mazda recalls 215,000 vehicles in U.S. for steering

Just saw this on Bob is the Oil Guy!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100817/...mazda_recall_5

Old 08-18-2010, 08:05 AM

Thanks, good catch.

I just noticed that the Mazda USA web site does not yet have the recall posted for my 2009 Mazda3; apparently some of us will have to wait until next February or so to receive our recall notice. The good news is that my car has yet to experience a problem, and from what I've read here and elsewhere, at least some of my good fortune vis-à-vis the Power Steering system is that I rarely (if ever) need to turn the steering wheel to full-lock. Hopefully those of us with cars included in the recall can make it until the parts become more plentiful and we receive our notices.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:56 PM

I started a thread last year when my steering failed on multiple occasions. I found out it many more mazda owners had this same issue. While I havent had the issue in some time I am hoping to get this fixed soon, but after checking my 2008 doesn't seem to be on the recall list which makes me very angry. Is there a link to the mazda usa site that has the exact cars being recalled? Thank you so much...

Old 08-18-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by MrSpike118
...but after checking my 2008 doesn't seem to be on the recall list...
What list are you referring to? All I've seen is 2007-2009 models built through November of 2008. Given that I bought mine in early to mid November of 2008 I'm thinking my car will be covered by the recall. That said, I haven't had an issue with the Power Steering for the first 30,000 miles, and it's anybody's guess as to how many more miles before it fails (if it ever fails at all).

Last edited by shipo; 08-19-2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Forgot to include the month I bought my car.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:16 AM

Sorry, there was no list. I just logged onto the owners page on the mazdausa website and they hadn't mentioned anything for my car yet. My steering failed only when it was extremely hot. I believe I was around 30k. I even called corporate to complain becau se I said my warranty was almost up. If it affects all cars like you had mentioed mine will be part of the recall as well hopefully.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by MrSpike118
Sorry, there was no list. I just logged onto the owners page on the mazdausa website and they hadn't mentioned anything for my car yet. My steering failed only when it was extremely hot. I believe I was around 30k. I even called corporate to complain becau se I said my warranty was almost up. If it affects all cars like you had mentioed mine will be part of the recall as well hopefully.
I've read that the Power Steering system is extremely sensitive to being held at either "lock" position as that overheats the fluid in a matter of only a few seconds. I find myself wondering if the folks that have experienced the failures do a lot of parallel parking; something that is extremely rare here in New Hampshire.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:25 PM

I'm wondering if this recall will include vehicles already with power steering systems that have been replaced already such as mine.
If they put the same junk parts on as they took off I would assume they need to be replaced.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:05 PM

I do sometimes, but not much. It happened when I had my ac on max and recirxulate on so I think it made the fluid hot. It only happened when I did that and it was extremely hot. Now before I shut my car off I turn my ac off a few minutes before...

Old 08-21-2010, 09:17 PM

It's funny - my husband and I just read about this recall the other day and then today it happened to me - in the middle of a parking lot my power steering just died and the light came on - my husband and I had to end up switching cars because I could not get the car to turn - he said it was difficult for him too - we drove to a restaurant and went in to eat and when we came back out it was fine but now I'm afraid to drive it in case it should happen again - I'll be stuck - I don't have the strength to turn the wheel without power steering

and to answer someone above I do not do a lot of parallel parking and I had just, today, flipped over to 20,000 miles - when this happened I had 20,036 miles on the car

my Mazda5 is going to the dealer on Monday whether or not the dealer knows it

Old 08-24-2010, 06:25 AM

I've had this happen twice now. Like Mr Spike. A/C on at idle. After a short period of time the steering light comes on and | lose power steering. Because I know the p/s is electric over hydraulic. (not belt driven) I figured the pump has an heat over protect system. I've even flushed the system and put in synthetic atf. No change. So, I try not to run the a/c when idling or stuck in traffic in 30C weather. Has not happened since.
Hopefully, my car will have the recall on it. Build date is June 07.
I imagine parts availability will be an issue with this many cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mazda recalls 215,000 vehicles in U.S. for steering