Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

mazda 3 oil loss

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 06:40 AM
Default mazda 3 oil loss

Hi,[/align]I have had a problem with my 04 mazda[/b] 3[/b] and was wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before. The other day I drove to work and evertyhing was fine. Somehow in the time that I was at work something happened with the oil[/b] filter or oil[/b] filter cup. When I started my engine all of the oil[/b] shot out of the engine. I had not noticed because of the way the parking lot is configured. I drove away and everything seemed fine. There were no strange noises smells or vibrations. Suddenly the oil[/b] light and engine light came on. I went to pull out of traffic and the engine seized up. The car has never leaked oil[/b] before. I checked the garage floor and found no signs of an oil[/b] leak. So all the oil[/b] leaked out in a matter ofseconds after I started my car. I have done some checking and have found that Mazda has a problem with their oil filter cartridge housing and can crack when tightened. I NEED HELP as I dont think I should be responsible for this repair because Mazda knows about this problem.[/align]

Old 12-27-2008, 07:50 AM
Default RE: mazda 3 oil loss

Whomever did the last oil changewould bemore responsible than Mazda if over tightening the filterwas the problem.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Mazda 3 oil loss

That would be my guess too.
You have to be pretty brutal on it, or use a metal strap style wrenchto get the oil filter housing to crack. It simply does not have to be tightened that much to do it"s job. I just hand tighten mine and it"s fine.
Or perhaps they left the old O-ring on there. If so the oil pressure may have blown them both out because the cartridge did not seat as it should, but because of the extra friction the mechanic didn"t feel that and thought it had.
I have seen this happen w/spin-on filters before.
Back when I worked for Jeep, one of our "mechanics" wrecked a nearly brand new Renault engine that way. The customer only drove about 15 miles before the catastrophethough. We bought him a new engine. Whoops!!

Old 12-31-2008, 12:26 AM

Well... I'm glad I don't use a Mazda filter for mine

Old 12-31-2008, 06:42 AM

ORIGINAL: knucklehead11

Well... I'm glad I don't use a Mazda filter for mine
You have a 2.0, it has a spin on filter, he has a 2.3 which has a cartridge filter and the bottom part of the housing is a composite plastic piece, which if over tightened will crack.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

That's still a good argument for converting, but I would also be careful what spin-on filter I"d use. Some, like the Frams are said to be made cheaper than ever and collapse internally. If that happens...... do I hear a voided warranty?

Old 12-31-2008, 07:57 PM

Converting over is not a Green Modification according to both my local dealers

Old 01-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Neither is spilling oil, and potentially engine internals,all over the highway according to the EPA.
I"m now completely out of warranty and I said before that when that happened, and/or I ran out of cartridge filters I would convert.
I wonder if WIX makes a compatable spin-on filter?

Old 01-01-2009, 11:30 AM

Here you go Richard

Part Number:

UPC Number:

Principal Application:
Buell, Harley-Davidson Motorcycles, Ford, Mazda (03-09) (For chrome version, use 51225)

[/b]
All Applications

Style:
Spin-On Lube Filter

Service:
Lube

Type:
Full Flow

Media:
Paper

Height:

Outer Diameter Top:

Outer Diameter Bottom:
Closed

Thread Size:
3/4-16

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI:
8-11

Burst Pressure-PSI:

Max Flow Rate:
7-9 GPM

Nominal Micron Rating:

Gasket Diameters

Number
O.D.
I.D.
Thk.

Attached

Old 01-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

WOW!!! GOOD info Ken. Thanks!

Where did you get/find that? Are you sure it"ll fit a 2.0... or a 2.3L converted?

Quick Reply: mazda 3 oil loss