Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda 3 and Ford focus

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Default Mazda 3 and Ford focus

I know this will probably upset some people, but wasn't the mazda 3 built on the ford focus chassis? I seem to remember hearing that several years ago, and am wondering how many parts they share.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Default RE: Mazda 3 and Ford focus

Yes. From what I have heard the chassis's are shared.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:46 PM

Miscellaneous
"The Axela is based on Ford's global C1 platform, which was developed by Volvo and is shared with the latest European Ford Focus and Volvo S40. Chassis development was carried out by Mazda and suspension designed by Ford. Based on the styling of the MX-Sportif concept car, the Axela is available in two body styles, a four-door sedan, marketed as "coupé style" in Europe, and a five-door hatchback, branded the Sport version in Canada, Japan, and the United States.
Front suspension is by MacPherson struts, with coil springs and an anti-roll bar. Rear suspension is a Ford-designed "E-link" multi-link suspension, with four locating links per wheel and an anti-roll bar, suspended on coil springs that are mounted inboard of the shock absorbers to reduce suspension intrusion into the cargo area."

Engine:
"The MZR is Mazda's latest Straight-4 gasoline powered engine. Development was assisted by Ford, who also sell the engine as the Duratec. The MZR family features a special long intake manifold for added torque, S-VT continuous variable valve timing, and a stainless steel 4:1 exhaust header."

"Beginning in 2004, Ford dropped the old 4-cylinder Zetec engines in favor of Mazda's MZR design. Thus, 2005 and present Duratec 4-cylinder engines are Mazdas. This includes the 2.0L Duratec 20 and 2.3L Duratec 23. The engine is currently built by Ford in Chihuahua, Mexico, Dearborn, Michigan, Valencia, Spain and Nanjing, China.

Duratec 20
The 993 is a 2.0L (1988cc) version built in Chihuahua, Chihuahua, Mexico. Bore is 87.5mm and stroke is 83.1mm. It is used in the US/brazilian/argentinian Focus, the Brazilian Ford EcoSport and in Europe in the Fiesta ST, Focus and Focus C-Max, Mondeo, S-Max, Transit and Galaxy. On the Focus, output is 136hp at 6000RPM with 136ft·lbf of torque at 4250rpm. The Focus sold in the US states of CA, NY, MA, VT and ME comes with the required PZEV emissions 20E version which produces 130hp at 6000RPM with 129ft·lbf of torque at 4000rpm. The PZEV is available as an option in border states. The compression ratio for both versions is 10:1. It has an aluminum engine block and aluminum DOHC cylinder heads. The cylinders are lined with cast iron. It uses SFI fuel injection, has 4 valves per cylinder and features fracture-split forged powder metal connecting rods, a one-piece cast camshaft, and a cast aluminum or reinforced plastic intake manifold. It does not have VVT. The power output is less than the Mazda version which does have VVT. The European 2.0 is rated at 145PS due to higher compression ratio (10.8:1 versus US 10.0:1) and reduced exhaust back pressure.

Duratec 23
The Duratec 23 is a 2.3L (2261cc) version of the Mazda-designed Duratec 20. Bore is 87.4mm and stroke is 94mm. It has an aluminum engine block with cast iron cylinder liners and aluminum DOHC cylinder heads. It uses SFI fuel injection, has 4 valves per cylinder and features fracture-split forged powder metal connecting rods and a one-piece cast crankshaft.
The 23EW is built in Chihuahua, Chihuahua, Mexico for use in the American market Focus. The Ford version does not have VVT, and its output is 151hp at 5750RPM with 154ft·lbf of torque at 4250rpm. A VVT version of this engine is used on the Mazda6 producing 160 hp.
The 23NS is built in Dearborn, MI for the Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series. Output is 143hp (107kW) at 5250rpm with 154ft·lbf (209N·m) of torque at 3750rpm"

Old 10-25-2007, 02:01 PM

so.. do i own a mazdaspeed3... or a fordspeed3?.......

aside from the chassis, which is totally from ford, any other part of the car that mazda is sharing with the focus? or ne other ford car?

Old 10-25-2007, 03:13 PM

I think you still own mazdaspeed3. In today's world, you just can not find many products that are made by one source anymore, thanks to globalization.
Look at how Boeing and Airbus build their airplanes. Boeing airplane parts are from US, Japan, Korea, China, Italy, and many other countries. They had a giant 747 dubbed "dreamlifter" going around the world to pick up parts for the final assmbly in the US. If a company manages the quality and supply chain effectively, (which is really hard to do), and the product should of good reliability.

Goign back to the C1 platform, here's a quote from wiki,
"The C platform was designed in Cologne, Germany as the "C Technologies Program". Thirty engineers each from Mazda, Ford, and Volvo worked to combine the compact car engineering from all three automakers. This is especially beneficial as each manufacturer involved assisted in certain areas that they are well known for, Volvo with safety, Mazda with body rigidity, and Ford with handling."

it seems the three companies have done something pretty well, and I do like the handling and rigidity of the 3, which tilted the scale for my decision when I was in market.

link here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C1_Platform
________
Park Royal 2 Condos Pattaya

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:15 PM

It also seems that the European Focus is different than the US Focus. Current US Focus does not use C1 platform, they do seem to plan to replace it in future.
________
Find Headshop

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:18 PM

You own a speed3

for almost the length of car manufacturing different companys have been sharing parts...its nothing new.

and in Lupae3's post it shows that Mazda handled most of the chasis. And the american Focus is on a completely different chasis then the Mazda 3 and Euro Foucs.

Really only the block on the ford/mazda duratec is the same...crank, pulleys, etc..are all different.

Look how many cars run Mitsu turbos and aren't even made by Mitsu.....SRT-4 Neon for one, as well as the Subie WRX at one point.

Whatever grill is on the front is what you are buying....unless its GMC or Chevy...that **** is all the same....LOL.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:23 PM

any1 have a link where i can read up on the eauropean focus?

Old 10-25-2007, 03:25 PM

GAHHHHHHH MY CARS A FOCUS TAKE IT BACK EWW EWW EWW haha. i dont like the focus whatsoever blah

Old 10-25-2007, 03:34 PM

ORIGINAL: SPeeDy3

any1 have a link where i can read up on the eauropean focus?
here u go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Fo...ternational%29
________
ROLL BLUNTS

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Mazda 3 and Ford focus