Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda 3 A/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Default Mazda 3 A/C

I have a 2005 Mazda 3, mileage 5,000, 2L with standard transmission and noticed that the A/C cycles off and on in about 10 second cycles. It gets real cold for a few seconds, then a little less cold for a few seconds and goes on like this. It cools the car down, but I'm visiting Arizona and noticed that at 86 degrees with the sun shining inside that it could stand to be a little cooler. It's not bad but I just wondered if something was wrong or if this is how it's supposed to work. The dealer didn't seem to know much. Anyone done any research re this? I read that there was a service bulletin for the '04 and wondered if they still had a problem. Overall I love this car and can't wait to drive it every day. It has far surpassed my expectations.

Old 03-21-2005, 07:30 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Mazda 3 A/C

i am not familiar with this particular vehicle, but i had a car a few years back (a chrysler product) that cycled heavily. it would cycle on and off because the AC compressor is a terrible drag on the engine. any time under aceleration it would disengage to free up some extra power. also, if it is not very hot, the compressor will not stay engaged due to the internal thermostat. i woudl suspect that in hotter weather, the compressor will remain engaged for you...but every car ive seen will continuously engage and disengage...

Old 03-21-2005, 07:36 PM

FIRST THE REASON YOUR AC CYCLES ON AND OFF- IS BECAUSE IN "TODAYS" CARS THE DEFROST REAR AND FRONT USES THE CONDENSOR.

I HAVENT SEEN A SERVICE BULL. FOR 2005 MODELS BUT I WOULD DEF HAVE A DEALER LOOK INTO IT

Old 04-11-2005, 11:14 PM

i work for a mazda dealer & own a 05 mazda 3 also, this is a normal condition for this vehicle to cycle, the 04 mazda 3 does have a bullentin
for poor a/c performance (a defusser plate kit), but the 05 already has it installed, as for my mazda 3 has not been hot enough
to challenge its cooling, please note that black dash does not help things much, may want to invest in a dash pad cover & see if that
helps.

Old 07-19-2005, 03:12 AM

It may be "normal" as far as Mazda is concerned, but it is not normal for the Mazda owner. The A/C cycles too frequently. I have had new cars every couple of years from 1998 and by no means have any of them had an A/C issue like on the Mazda3. I am hoping new software will delay the cycling. I don't think that this frequent cycling is good for the compressor or any related components, so I can't help wonder how long the A/C will actual last in these models.

Old 07-19-2005, 01:08 PM

wow someone with the same problem as me!!

I noticed my AC in my 2004 Mazda 3 doing the same thing. I guess the only problem is mine is a 2004! I am actually taking my car into the dealership tomarrow after work to look at the AC, the tranny and some other stuff. but thats crazy because i was explaining the exact same thing to my service advisor at the dealership yesterday! but im in Texas and it is normally 90-95 degrees everyday of the summer. so lately i have noticed that while in it during the day, especially when its really hot, the ac gets real cold then 10 seconds later it gets to be warm. I thought something was wrong with it! so i called dealer. We will see what happens tomarrow! I doubt they will say they found anything...[:'(]

Old 07-20-2005, 12:42 AM

Mine is a 2005, so the problem is not production year related. If no satisfaction, go to anothe dealer. Also, I was told that the Service Manager must report to the Mazda USA and it takes about 25 complaints [from different Mazda Dealerships] before Mazda looks at the issue. So, no complaints, no fix.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:51 PM

I have similar problems, but after a few minutes of keeping the recirc on, it's sufficient for the muggy weather.

Old 07-21-2005, 03:59 AM

This happens with my '04 Mazda3i here in Las Vegas. I just never figured it as much of a problem and so have not taken it to the dealer yet. Should I take it in and see if there are any service bulletins relating to the A/C that pertain to the car? I never like to go in with a generic problem only to have them say nothing is wrong.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:17 PM

well latest news is.. i never got a chance to go to the dealership i had to cancel the service appt because something came up. but yeah i see it now as not really being a big deal. atleast its blowing cold....if its not at all, then you have a problem! [:@]