Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda 3 acting funny during acceration

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Default Mazda 3 acting funny during acceration

Hey guys, Not really a gear head, so I thought I would ask some knowledgeable people.

I have a 2007 Mazda 3 2.3 Hatchback (2006 Manufacture Date) Auto tranny.

I was replacing my Headlight, and I couldn't get the springclip to release. So after some frustration, I thought I might be a bit "safer" to unplug the battery, to minimize any inadvertent injury, to myself. ( to my regret)

Well after a bit, I replaced the bulb, and everything seemed good.

Until I had to go to work the next day...My 3 seemed to accelerate a bit rougher then usual. And when kinda stepping on it to get around people, i noticed that the gear readout would drop down and then go back up. So I would be in 5th gear, and it would drop down to 3 or 4, and then go back up...never noticed that before...I had this car for a couple years now.

Anyways, after some google research, i think i narrowed it down to me resetting the ECU inadvertently.

So i had my dealership reflash it...and they said they got a bunch of error codes, when they did it, but it was all good after that.

Well, the 3 did drive good for the rest of that day, though i couldn't really test it out if you know what i mean because of rain traffic. But i was convinced it ran better... The pedal felt better, if that makes sense. Much more smoother gear shifting, and better shift points.

Then the next day, on my way home, it seems to have reverted back to what ever may be the problem before. Not sure what to do at this point except spending a bunch of money hunting something that might not get fixed. I can live with it, I guess. I just dont like seeing it go from 5th gear to 2nd (I saw it a few times) and see the RPM jump so much.

Anybody have any ideas what I can do to get my 3 purring again?

Old 04-28-2011, 05:55 PM

hmm thats a weird one, at first i was going to say that even though the ecu was reflashed the car still has to realearn your driving habits, if you drive harsh its gonna react with rougher quicker shifts and quicker throttle response. For it to go from 5th to 2nd is kinda odd in my eyes unless your giving it a good amount of throttle input.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:56 PM

hmm that is weird. is your the slap shift? if so drive with that and see if it drives any beter