Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Mazda 3 2009 2.0 sport i-stop query

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 12:16 PM
Default Mazda 3 2009 2.0 sport i-stop query

Hi all,

This is my first post here so forgive me if it is the wrong place. The i-stop in my mazda 3 2.0 sport (2009) has suddently stopped kicking in. There is no flashing orange i-stop light or anything indicative of fault ...it just doesnt do anything. I have had the car about 6 weeks and its been fine. The only thing ive done different or out of the norm is run the cars blower on max for 15 minutes whilst the engine was off to circulate one of those smoke bomb type air fresheners. Could it be that the engine thinks that I still want the car cold and is stopping the i-stop from kicking in? The engine has been on and off again a few times so if thats the case it must have logged it and be remembering the information overall, irrespective of switching the engine off and on again. Will I just have to let it learn that I dont want the air on full blast for a day or so?

What do you all think?

Many thanks.

Ash

Old 08-04-2016, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ashtonm00
Hi all,

This is my first post here so forgive me if it is the wrong place. The i-stop in my mazda 3 2.0 sport (2009) has suddently stopped kicking in. There is no flashing orange i-stop light or anything indicative of fault ...it just doesnt do anything. I have had the car about 6 weeks and its been fine. The only thing ive done different or out of the norm is run the cars blower on max for 15 minutes whilst the engine was off to circulate one of those smoke bomb type air fresheners. Could it be that the engine thinks that I still want the car cold and is stopping the i-stop from kicking in? The engine has been on and off again a few times so if thats the case it must have logged it and be remembering the information overall, irrespective of switching the engine off and on again. Will I just have to let it learn that I dont want the air on full blast for a day or so?

What do you all think?

Many thanks.

Ash
I had a 2009 Mazda3 a few years ago and have no idea what i-stop is; maybe it is a UK only option/feature. Can you enlighten us?

Old 08-04-2016, 12:50 PM

Ah yes it is not available in the US. It is Mazdas clever stop/start technology. There are conditions where the car either wont engage it or will bring the car out of pause mode if it deems the engine needs to be running to prevent high battery drain (such as having lights and AC on).

Old 08-04-2016, 02:33 PM

Ahhh, my mom's old Chevy does that. If I recall correctly, the Mazda3 we just bought has similar technology available, but only if the car is ordered with an automatic transmission.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

Its a shame the US market hasn't imbraced the awesomeness of i-stop.

Most likely your battery's "State of Charge" has dropped below the minimum level.

How many batteries is there under the bonnet? 1 or 2? ( JDM has 2, NZ & OZ have 1)

You will need to fully recharge & test the battery/batteries, then visit Mazda to get the i-stop relearn procedure carried out.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:40 AM

I don't think it is the U.S. market; GM, Ford, BMW, among others all sell cars here with similar technology, even Mazda sells a few cars here with such a feature. I suspect the issue here is Mazda's North American decision makers and the matrix of features they want to sell here.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:34 AM

It worked fine the next day! Maybe either the charge level had dropped below a threshold or the ECU (or brain of the i-stop) still logged the AC usage & assumed I still wanted AC on hours later. All working well now! There are 2 batteries.

I notice in the US market the Mk2 Mazda 3 gets a 2.3 N/A engine with over 160BHP where as over here the 2.0 petrol (Gasoline ) was the largest apart from the 2.3T MazdaSpeed3/MPS.

The book 0-60 time is pretty slow for my 2.0 148BHP - something like 10.2 seconds but in real world driving it feels faster! Especially since 2nd gear will push over 60mph.