Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Make a decision for me!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Default Make a decision for me!

I've been looking to get rid of my crappy Cavalier and have been interested in the Mazda3 hatchback for quite some time. I don't want anything newer than an 08 for aesthetic and cost reasons. I've found two for sale that both meet what i've been looking for but with some slight differences and I need your help deciding which would be the better deal!

Both are automatic and have power everything there's only some differences.

#1:
Mazda3 hatchback 2007 O.B.O

Pros (imo): Less mileage, like the color, cheaper, has carfax.
Cons: Older year, single cd, no sunroof.

#2:
Cars for Sale: 2008 Mazda MAZDA3 s Grand Touring Hatchback in TEMPE, AZ 85283: Hatchback Details - 306747301 - AutoTrader.com

Pros: Newer year, fully loaded.
Cons: Dislike white, more mileage, pricier, would have to buy the carfax.

Please help me out with this, i'm just a chick who needs some good mazda advice!

Old 09-16-2011, 07:39 AM

assuming neither of them have been in a accident or have any major issues I say it is a toss up. I would probably go to the one you liked the color of and see how low you can get the price. You never know maybe you can get it a little cheaper then the other one with more miles.

Do you have a moonroof in your Chevy? I find in AZ that there is a lot of times where I can't take advantage of mine. Even on nice days where I drive with the windows down it is to sunny to have it open until the evening. That being said I love it and use it whenever I can.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:04 AM

I'm thinking the only person who can make this decision is the OP. Asking a forum to make a decision for them is only asking for an excuse for being unhappy with the purchase.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Hailey. I appreciate your taste in replacement cars. The Cavalier was never anything to write home about and as far as an accident is concerned, one of the most dangerous modern cars on the road.
But as far as your dilemma goes its a tough choice between the two.
On one hand I don't mind a white car and living in Texas, as Arizona, the sun's affects are better w/the lighter colored car. The A/C is not the strongest in these cars to begin with. I knew that going in and have lived with it.
Plus believe it or not, white hides dirt much better than a darker colored car like that Metro Gray car you're looking at.
But there is a price difference and to get the amenities you seem to want, it will cost you. The white '08 is about as close as you can come to a GT w/o actually having one.

I will caution you though that the 6-disc changer has been known to be troublesome. It may be more convenient in the short run, but the single disc player is much more reliable.

As Dale (shipo) states, I can't decide for you though. It's all a matter of what you want, what you're willing to pay for and what you're willing to put up with in the future. Just be sure these cars, or any you may be shopping for, have been maintained. That's the biggest issue. The mileage difference is small if they've both been properly taken care of.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:58 PM

I would say the white one. It may be me, but the one of craigs list looks like the headlights are tinted. If so, that's an indicator that a young guy was driving it and probably abusing it....just my 2 cents

The white one looks pretty good from the outside, but hard to tell how it was maintained without driving it and listening to the little noises it makes.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:57 PM

I agree with Wolfgang. The grey one is probably bagged

Old 09-17-2011, 12:57 AM

Thanks so much for the advice! I know that I obviously have to check them both out and make my own decision but I was interested in hearing some opinions from other people to see if there were any differences between the years or between the standard model and the Grand Touring. Awesome bits of info I wouldn't have thought of, thank you!

Old 09-17-2011, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator

Hailey, Neither of those cars appear to be GT's. The white car appears to be a well optioned Touring, while the gray car a pretty std S model.
The easiest way I know of to spot a GT are the LED taillights. But GT's also come std w/leather interior, HID headlights and auto climate control and wipers. And again, in the Arizona sun I wouldn't recommend the leather. Believe me, the cloth interior gets hot enough.

*edit* I looked at the white car again and am sure that the seller is mistaken. That is not a GT. If you look, it does not have the auto climate control system which has silve *****, and I don't see the headlamp level switch on the left side of the dash either. Plus no LED tails which would look more chrome, and the seller admits the car does not have leather. I'm pretty sure its a "Touring" model, which is a mid-trim level model.

Last edited by virgin1; 09-17-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:21 PM

I ran a car fax on the white one. No accident or damage reported and its a one owner vehicle, registration was issue in Tempe,AZ on 6/9/08

Last edited by firesilver; 09-18-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:25 PM

good thinking on the car fax! Another thing to look out for is people buying the flooded cars from the east coast and reselling them with a salvage title