Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

I've a problem with my immobilizer system

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 06:34 AM
Default I've a problem with my immobilizer system

Dear Sirs,
Ineed help with my M3 i bought it a few months ago and unfortunately i lost a key and i bought another one but the problem is i cant make the key start the engine and here in Egypt we havent got a Mazda Dealer and i have only 1 key for my car can anyone tell me how i can override the security system and make the another key start the engine on my own because i cant found any help from technicals here in Egypt.
Your concern is highly appreciated,
Thank u all.
Khaled

Old 10-07-2007, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: I've a problem with my immobilizer system

Ah, Man. Big mistake. This isn't gonna help you I know, but from what I understand you need a working key to activate a new one.
I had a third key made andactivatedshortyafter I bought mine, and that's how they did it. I know of no other way to deactivate the immobilizer
Perhaps a qualified locksmith could help you there? So many newer cars have this feature that I'm sure locksmith's are aware and trained for this kind of emergency. I don't how that would work in Egypt though?

Old 10-07-2007, 05:46 PM

The keys have a chip in them. Wthout the chip your car is dead. You need to have another made by Mazda (no way around this one) it'll cost around $125 I believe. Sorry.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:38 PM

see on my key i have this little code thing for these kind of things so in case i loose my car by some freak chance then i have the code and i take it to a locksmith and it will work well tahts what the dealership told me anyway

Old 10-07-2007, 08:02 PM

thats just a key if you lock your keys out of your car, but it will not start it as they need to have the chip in them...

Old 10-07-2007, 08:08 PM

nooo its like this little shiny metal thing that has about 5 numbers onto it. dont know if you guys have one but they told me that is what it is for. anyway im going to watch the italian job... perfect movie for a night like tonight haha later

Old 10-07-2007, 08:16 PM

MrSpike118 is correct.

The tag with the numbers will simply let you get a copy of the key profile (i.e. to unlock your doors)

Old 10-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

His problem isn't getting a new chipped key... you can order those online. The problem is that if you don't have two working (read: programmed) keys then you can't program in a new key yourself. If you only have one then the dealer has to plug into the car's computer and clear out all previous keys and put the new ones in. He doesn't have a dealer anywhere near him which is why he's kind of screwed.

The keys have a chip in them. Wthout the chip your car is dead. You need to have another made by Mazda (no way around this one) it'll cost around $125 I believe. Sorry.
Even if you get a chipped key it still needs to be programmed before it will work. A transponder key will cost you $18 shipped (and cut if you like) from www.onlinemazdaparts.com. It's the dealer's charge to clear the computer that costs so much money.

see on my key i have this little code thing for these kind of things so in case i loose my car by some freak chance then i have the code and i take it to a locksmith and it will work well tahts what the dealership told me anyway
Your dealer lied to you. All that is for is so the dealer can look up what your key cut is in the computer so as to cut a new key without having to have a physical key to copy. If you get a key from a locksmith it will not be a transponder key and as such will not start your car, so that's only a "crap I locked my keys in the car and need to open the door" emergency key.

Like Virgin1 said it's a great idea to go ahead and order a third key as a backup so that if you do run into this problem you'll never have to go to the dealer to have them reprogram everything. I have four myself.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:41 AM

well it has crossed my mind to get one of those you know "Valet Keys" where if i take my car anywhere and they park it or something like that or for when i take it to the dealership. but im not too sure if they would have any of those. does someone know about that?

Old 10-08-2007, 01:54 PM

Anyone else think this has scam written all over it?

If there was a way to do it, and we tell him who's to say it's his car...post count of 1...yeah I trust that.

Quick Reply: I've a problem with my immobilizer system