Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

iPhone Questions & Issues With 2010 Mazda3 iTouring

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Default iPhone Questions & Issues With 2010 Mazda3 iTouring

I have searched and searched and have found no answers to my issues, can someone please help? Thanks in advance. I just purchased my first Mazda yesterday, freaking awesome. Just pointing that out.

1) I have an iPhone 3G. I was listening to my music via the AUX cord and it sounded great. Then, I paired my phone with the bluetooth and love that feature. However, there are two issues. The first is that the volume is very low on the speakers for the person I'm talking to, I have to turn the volume up to 60 and then the beeps about give me a heart attack. The second is that I can no longer listen to my music via AUX, only through bluetooth audio. I hate that because it doesn't sound as good and actually jumps a little. I called the dealership and they said they've never heard of this. Any thoughts on why AUX won't work now?

2) I might upgrade and get the integration for the iPod, but will it work for my iPhone 3G, will it charge it, and will it be easy to use? I've read a lot of bad things about Mazda's iPod integration, but it seems they might have improved it. I hate after market stuff.

Thanks guys!

Old 10-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Default Hmmm...

Now the AUX works, so scratch that. I have also tried importing contacts from my iPhone and it won't work. It says on Mazda's website that it is not capable of doing that yet, but it also says BT audio isn't supported either, which is not true since I was doing it this morning! I'd love to import my contacts! Anyone?

Old 10-01-2009, 09:24 PM

Check the other thread here about Ipod Connectivity, that might help answer some questions even though you have an IPhone which is somewhat different. As you will read on that thread, I just had the Ipod integration module installed and am pleased with what it does, even though it is pricey.

For your contacts, if you have the IPhone paired as a phone you should be able to transfer contacts, but you will have to do them one at a time. As far as I know there is no "import phonebook" function on Mazda, I had a BMW which would import the whole phonebook which was nice. I don't have a IPhone but do have an LG phone with BT and was able to do it. I had to go into the car's phonebook mode, and add a contact (using the voice prompts). Then you say the name of the contact, and tell it to import contact. At that point on the phone I had to tell it to send the contact via BT. This works but obviously will take a while doing it one-by-one if you have a lot of them.

For your volume issues, I seem to remember another post here about someone having similar issues. I think the solution was to adjust the volume on the phone as well as the car to find the right levels. In other words, if you can't hear the caller, turn up the volume using the phone not just the car controls. This applied to call volume and ringer volume too. In that post I think the person was getting blown out of the car when the phone rang, I think he had his ringer volume on the phone all the way up but was trying to adjust it using the car only.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:36 PM

Thanks Mark56. I appreciate your help. I'm already frustrated with the iPhone connection via AUX. The bluetooth is not as crisp of a sound, but I have to go on my iPhone and manually change it from MAZDA to HEADPHONES to get it play through AUX. Then, I get a phone call, and when I'm done, it changes it back to BT and I have to manually change it again. I guess I need to have this connection put in, it seems safer anyway. I really need to find out if it will fix the problem I just mentioned (does it play through the AUX setting?) and if it charges the iPhone as well. Plus, I see you guys have the TECH package, will it still do about the same stuff without that package? As for the contacts, I think I have to just do them manually by speaking them in, I don't see this working with iPhone. And as for volume, I'm still stumped. I'll figure it out. I love the car, it's a great car for less than $20k, no doubt.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 PM

Glad to help. Yes, when you have the Ipod module you press the AUX button to get to it, but the display says IPod. The plug is the 30 pin (or whatever it is) plug for the Ipod/Iphone, and I know it charges the Ipod, so I would assume it would charge an IPhone too.

If I am not mistaken, the guy that posted the pix on the other thread about how the displays look said he does NOT have tech/nav like I do. So, you will likely get the Ipod data on the left (info) screen like his pix show. Go check that thread again and especially the post with the pix.

For the volume issue, get a friend (who hopefully is a patient person) and get them on a call through the car/BT to do some testing. Try doing the volume up/down on the phone and see if it doesn't change what comes through the car speakers. I will be surprised if this does not solve your problems.

Let us know how it works out.