Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Info on BOV for MS3

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Default Info on BOV for MS3

I was thinking about getting a BOV for my MS3, but I need someinfo first. I have read that it is good for the extension of the life of a turbo to put a BOV on it. Is that true? What are some good brands of BOV for MS3? Could someone who is not very mechanically inclined put one in? It looks pretty easy...thanks people

Old 03-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Default RE: Info on BOV for MS3

hey man!
i havent been on this site in awhile. my friend told me to hlep you out with your question.

FIRST and foremost, what are your plans with the car? are you keeping your warranty?

I have kept my speed3 stock due to me never having a warranty before and ive already had to replace the turbo, so it works out.

Depending upon your goals/etc a Recirculating BOV will most likely be your choice. you can find a bunch at Streetunit.com. Turbosmart makes good products. so does HKS, tho the SSQV is quite expensive and baller.

IF YOU WANT MY PERSONAL opinion. let it go. the stock recirc. valve will work just as well for you on the stock turbo, that any aftermarket BOV will and you can better spend your money elsewhere, like free-flowing the choked-out exhaust system. OR put the Mazdaspeed3 Cold Air Intake on the car(or any other CAI) and youll be able to hear the stock BOV and go YAY! BOV!!!!!!

Good luck. feel free to email me with more questions @ yotarolla73@gmail.com

Old 03-13-2008, 01:59 PM

ORIGINAL: theGURU
I have kept my speed3 stock due to me never having a warranty before and ive already had to replace the turbo, so it works out.
You had to replace your turbo? What happend and at how many miles?

Old 03-13-2008, 04:21 PM

thanks for helping out chris [edit] i knew you could handle that better than i.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:45 PM

the main thing is that when you add a BOV, you will need to relocate the MAF or else you will be dumping metered air which will cause you to run rich when you blow off. all that you have to do is move the MAF behind the BOV. you could just get a hard pipe kit and intake to do this.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the response man...The ONLY thing I am def going to do to the car is put the factory CAI on it. I WANT to keep my warranty in tact. I dont want to parade around going "YEAH BOV"....that's for sure. I still have 14k left on warranty.

F the blow off valve....what happened to the turbo? What milage did it happen. I SWEAR something is wrong with mine but MAZDA insists that it's alright. Sometimes the caris unbelievably fast...other times it runs like a 2.3 straight 4 w/ no turbo. I justgot the car used w/ 15k miles on it. I LOVE THIS CAR...i'm worried something might be wrong w/ her. tell me about your turbo problems please..........

Old 03-14-2008, 06:50 PM

turbos are just funny like that sometimes. i have an rx7 turbo II and she took me on the ride of my life today, burying the boost gauge needle non-stop. other days, i am getting half boost at full throttle. it is all dependant on too many factors to tell how it is going to act from one day to the next. your humidity can change one day and cause the boost to be bogged down a little. the next day the humidity will drop along with the temperature and cause the boost to spike all of the time.

if you are really concerned, go through a checklist of stuff to tune. start with the WGA. these go out all of the time and cause your boost to go crazy. then there are all of the sensors, starting with the o2 sensors since they cause the most problems on the m3's. just have all of the sensors checked and have the WGA checked and if there are no problems, stop worrying so much. the car is under warranty, right?

Old 03-18-2008, 06:55 PM

there is no question i worry about her too much. I've never had a car I enjoy driving like I do this MS3. I'm hoping that if there are any major problems that they will completly manfest before the warranty expires. I have about 13k left on the warranty. Thanks for the advice and support....adios...

Old 03-20-2008, 10:20 PM

hey.
mine occured at 10,000 miles.

i was living in FL at the time where it was 80-100degrees and got down to 40 degrees a few nights.

after sitting for 4-6 hours i would warm the car up to prepare to drive(let it get to operating temperature) once warm it occasionally smoked. the smoke was a thick white smoke and white smoke is normally associated with coolant being burned, however mine was white and smelled like oil. it smoked like a freight train when it wanted toand it was VERY difficult to reproduce. took me 3 trips to my mazda dealership and FINALLY getting it recorded on my video phone and then calling my local mazda rep. to get an engineer to look at it. sure enough he took the downpipeoff and it was caked in oil. SOME people, not an entirely large amount of people have been experience this(even speed6 and turbo CX7 owners have experienced it)

fixed under warranty and replaced with an updated version(part# was pulled from mazda parts services while the problem was being re-engineered) of the same size/style turbo. spool sounds slightly different and it seems to have a little more TQ(i might be crazy).

also, my car was called in for service to have the ECU reflash.

make sure u are updated on all ur current TSBs and recalls/etc,

as for BOV. waste of money in my opinion(unless you are upgrading ur turbo setup and running higher boost levels and/or more aggressive A/F ratios than your stock BPV and the CAI should be just fine)

ENJOY THE CAR!

Old 03-21-2008, 07:59 AM

Interesting....I haven't had any smoke come out of the car.

I got an email from Mazda saying that my 07 Warranty had been extended on the powertrain to 60k miles or 60 months. Is this true? Does any one else know about this? If it's true I'm very relieved and have nothing to worry about for the next 4 years. Holla back....