Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

How is your A/C when its 90+

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Default RE: How is your A/C when its 90+

Those are overall great tips from spots, I would add, 1)Park in the shade so the car is notan ovento begin with, and 2) Crack all of your windows a 1/4 inch when parked, which gives a path for hot air to escape. I regularly use my sun shade, it makes a huge difference, plus its nice to not have to try to drive a car who's steering wheel is a hot potato.

A related thought, I suggest takingit off recirc mode after you are cooled. 21st century cars are quite well sealed, if you have all the windows up and have it on recirc, there is not much fresh air coming into the vehicle. It can be legitimately very dangerous if you are a smoker (or in a car with a smoker), as aburning cigarette (or burning anything) is a big user of oxygen.

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/accandle.html

Old 06-21-2008, 05:55 PM

One thing I noticed also, If you put your temp on the coldest level and run it on foot and defogger (which won't allow you to turn the AC on) it will keep you cool similar to the AC without taxing the engine......just make sure to kick the fan up to 4 for max air

Old 06-21-2008, 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: M3owner

One thing I noticed also, If you put your temp on the coldest level and run it on foot and defogger (which won't allow you to turn the AC on) it will keep you cool similar to the AC without taxing the engine......just make sure to kick the fan up to 4 for max air
????

Won't allow you to turn the AC on?

The only setting whichabsolutely prevents the AC from coming on isif the fan is set to zero (ie. the system is shut off).

Old 06-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

That was/is my impression/experience too?
What system do you have in yours... auto climate or std?

Old 06-21-2008, 08:12 PM

BTW, When the Defrost is on th AC compressor is on, and if you have it set to all the way down the heat is not mixed in.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:48 PM

I too drive at freeway speeds and my AC works fine at a blisteringtemp of 116 in AZ. I did notice it struggles in city driving.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:59 PM

ORIGINAL: UrbanmanUSA

????

Won't allow you to turn the AC on?

The only setting whichabsolutely prevents the AC from coming on isif the fan is set to zero (ie. the system is shut off).
I have the Std. AC on my i-touring and whenever the Defogger and feet setting is set you can't turn the AC light on.....but the Air comes out really cold

Old 06-28-2008, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

The A/C is certainly on then, even though the indicator does not always show.

My '04 doesn't work that way though.If I hit the switch the indicator lights no matter where the dial is set.
Anythingto the right of about the 11:30position (just to the left of the footwell only position) automatically calls for the A/Cto be onin these, and many other modern cars/trucks,though the indicator may not light.
My A/C still comes on, though the indicator does not lightif I haven't already hit the A/C switch, but will stay lit if I have.

Check your owners manual forfurther details. Perhaps there was some kind-of-a change for the '08.5's?

You DID read your manual, didn't you?
It took me an entire night when I first bought mine (70+ pages,) but I read it.
The one for my MIL's '02 Cavalier was even longer, and for a car that's not half of what ours are too. [:'(]

Old 06-28-2008, 10:46 AM

I have the Std. AC on my i-touring and whenever the Defogger and feet setting is set you can't turn the AC light on.....but the Air comes out really cold

I think its highly likely V1 is correct. I have not heard of any car built in the lastseveral modelyears that does not automatically kick the AC comp on when you switch the front defogg on. According to my manual, for the 07, theAC certainly does come on when using front defog. You might want to give your manual a read. The fact the air comes out really cold is an indication the comp is on - what else would explain the really cold air?

Old 06-28-2008, 12:25 PM

I've also heard that the air cond. is only supposed to be 10 degrees colder than the outside ambient temperature.

Quick Reply: How is your A/C when its 90+