Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

How do you get to the air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Default How do you get to the air filter?

So I had the privelage of using a garage today for about 30 minutes to vacuum out my car and pop the hood to check my levels real quick....and when I tried to access the air filter housing, it looks to be beneath a bunch of ****. I took out the 3 screws/pop-ins that are in front of the fuse box, and lifted out that cover, but it looks like there's a battery vent of some kind that needs to come out as well. Not wanting to get myself in a pinch I scrapped the idea and put the cover back...and now I'm back here on the forums! How the hell do you get the other parts out? Also, does anyone know how to take the valve cover off? Without a repair guide (is there one?) I don't want to get myself in trouble by popping something out and losing it to the depths below, as we've probably all had happen on other cars. HELP!!!

Old 02-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: How do you get to the air filter?

For the air filter.
-remove the plastic screw/anchor attached to the big useless piece of plastic (with the little useless door) that's towards the driver's side of the car. There are multiple anchors, but that's the only one you need to remove... careful not to drop it in.
-remove the battery cover
-the battery air deely comes right off
-pop loose the clips on the corners of the air filter housing and lift it up a bit. You can try loosening the hose clamp too but I managed to lift up the cover just enough to get the old filter out and the new one in.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:10 AM

what if i want to remove the hole filter box and everything to put CAI in....

Old 02-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Do what "Spots" says, but lossen all the clamps and both electrical connectors, remove the top and pull straight up w/a jerk to remove the bottom of ther AB. It'll pop out of the rubber bushings it's held in place with.
Name:  IMG_0039W.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0043W.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0047W.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  57.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0050W.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  49.8 KB

Old 02-07-2008, 06:19 PM

wow thanks a lot. How would i get that other plastic piece out the resonator i suppose... the last bottom circle in the last pic.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Pull out, or loosen the front lower splash pan and remove the three 10mm(?) bolts that hold it in/onto the frame rail. They are not as hard to get to as others might have you believe.
If you're thinking it will help w/o a CAI, forget it. Others have actually dynoed that mod and it hurts more than it helps.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:01 AM

no i asked because I will definetely be getting a CAI car is quiet has too much of a smooth rev for me and i need more power and want that grrraaahhHHH!!! sound if you know what i mean

Old 02-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Ah! Well the CAI of your choice should/will come w/instructions... hopefully. My MS CAI did at least. I found it easiest to simply remove the front bumper cover. You can see the bolts very clearly then, but it can be done w/o having to do that.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:14 PM

What a pain...not too involved I guess, but still, my "H-word" was so easy I could check it in 10 sec. Just hope the boys at the oil change place won't lose a screw or mess something up when they inspect it. They've f-ed up my stuff before which is why I am the annoying "hovering" customer that won't take my eyes of the car. Thanks for the info fellas!

BTW, until I go with a CAI does anyone here recommend an aftermarket K&N filter to go in the stock box? I've heard good things but never used one. Will I be able to tell any difference? It claims it allows for more air flow than the stock filter. But then again, we're talking about more air flow through the STOCK airbox... :-p

???

Old 02-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I used one before the CAI... along with this little mod:

Name:  IMG_0048W.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  33.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0049W.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  25.0 KB

I called it the Poor Man's SRI and it worked, but the CAI is much different... better.

Quick Reply: How do you get to the air filter?