Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Horrible radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 08:23 AM
Default RE: Horrible radio reception

I haven't noticed my radio reception, to be any better or worse, than any other car I have owned. Maybe I just live in a good area.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:47 PM

yeah my radio reception sux also. I have sirius sat radio. It hard to get a fuzzy station even.My brother has sat radio to, i try to use the station he uses and i can't in my 3

Old 02-23-2007, 03:23 PM

sounds like you guys with the poor reception probably have bad head units. If you put in an aftermarkt, that may fix fix the issue. I would also check all the locations that the antenna is plugged in at, like babyhuey said. I get FM stations just fine on my stock, but AM sucks, of course.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:00 PM

Putting in an aftermarket in the 3 would look ugly I would think. I love the intergration in the dash board.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:46 PM

Next time i take my ride to the dealership for an oil change i will have to mention to them. That my radio is a piece of crap and to give me a new one.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by bm2007
I just bought an 05 Mazda 3, and the radio has HORRIBLE reception. All of the FM channels that will come in on any other car radio in my area are full of static in my new car. I brought to the dealer, and they could not find anything wrong with connections, antennea, etc... but ended up replacing the antennea anyway. This did nothing, and they say there is nothing else that can be done. I brought it to a car radio specialty store, and the manager there said he used to have this car, and had the same problem. He also said there's nothing that can be done -- does anyone have a similar problem?
When you "seek" the channels, it stops on nothing, maybe one very local station. When you manually turn it to a channel, it is in and out static the entire time, although you can hear the station in the background-- thanks for your help, I'm so frustrated!
Am having the same problem - 3 years later and still unsolved? Noticed babyhuey's comment with pictures in it that looked likely to be very helpful, but they're not available anymore. Can someone/anyone please help?

Old 06-19-2014, 08:24 PM
Default Radio Reception 2008 Mazda 3

Just purchased a used 2008 Mazda 3 today. While looking over the car before the purchase I quickly tested the radio. Never gave it much thought as I was more focused on the drive train, interior condition, etc. As the radio "worked" in the few moments I tested it out, I never gave it a second thought.

Once I got on the road home I noticed the radio reception for my fav station was rather poor. As I drove along the signal went to total crap. I have 3 other vehicles. One is a 1972 Chevy. The radio reception is "excellent" even in the old car.

Anyway, for the record, the OEM whip antenna on top of the used Mazda is damaged a bit (cracked plastic at the bottom). That was likely due to a car wash where the prior owner didn't remove it ahead of time.

Earlier this evening I removed the antenna off my wife's Prius and put that shorter antenna on the Mazda. No improvement. About the same.

Based on what I'm seeing here on the forum it would seem clear that Mazda designed a great car but has the worst radio sensitivity in the history of the automotive radio. I will go to a local dealer tomorrow & pay what is likely a stupid price for a new OEM antenna. I don't have much hope there will be much improvement. I'll post my findings once the new antenna is on.

It's just hard to believe. I live in Dallas Texas. Even my POS garage radio with a broken antenna picks up stations I can't even detect on the Mazda unit. Not too happy about it. Anyway, will buy a genuine Mazda antenna at the dealer & go from there. If it doesn't improve I will just go aftermarket. I just hope the Crutchfield route has "OEM" like replacements. I don't need or want GPS or all that other crap. I just want a functional radio that looks OEM.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:18 PM

I had the same problem, and in the end it turned out to be that the hole in the back of the radio where the antenna cable plugs in had somehow been widened, maybe because when putting in the plug someone wriggled too much. That caused the contact to weaken, and reception to fail. You can bend the metal parts inside the hole slightly back, and then contact will be good and reception improved. Try it!
Originally Posted by bm2007
I just bought an 05 Mazda 3, and the radio has HORRIBLE reception. All of the FM channels that will come in on any other car radio in my area are full of static in my new car. I brought to the dealer, and they could not find anything wrong with connections, antennea, etc... but ended up replacing the antennea anyway. This did nothing, and they say there is nothing else that can be done. I brought it to a car radio specialty store, and the manager there said he used to have this car, and had the same problem. He also said there's nothing that can be done -- does anyone have a similar problem?
When you "seek" the channels, it stops on nothing, maybe one very local station. When you manually turn it to a channel, it is in and out static the entire time, although you can hear the station in the background-- thanks for your help, I'm so frustrated!

Old 12-27-2018, 02:11 AM
Default Fm

Originally Posted by iflyducati
No problem with my FM/AM I getpretty good reception. I don't listen to it too much cause I have the Sirius option and actually just (2 weeks ago) programmed the FM/AM channels.
Fm?
how do you tune?
I live in big city yet there is no acknowledgement of
FM on my radio. Thanks