Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

HID Kit Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Default RE: HID Kit Installation

... I have that same kit in my altima...can compare it to a name brand company BUT thats H1 housing....

Old 02-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

We were talking about the "blue" halogen ("Xenon") bulbs that don't work.I've tried them too, only to remove them for the OE's after less than a week. And SilverStar's (~$40/set) are no better than the cheaper no-name branded ones.It's a matter of physics and light technology.
As far as cheap HID kits are concerned, I would assume the same, but have no personal experience....?
I know that I've heard horror stories of ballasts giving out early, or not working at all out of the box, and having little recourse, but again, all second hand stuff.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:37 PM

o, i didn't know the silverstars give out just as fast. Well its risky buying the no name HID kits .....got to look for the reliable companies...the wholesaler i work with is great, he offers life time warranty and all that good stuff BUT there is ALWAYS the risk of getting something faulty having it being a un-branded kit. Well i appreciate the help though. Could anyone post a picture of how the little adapters look that are on the stock bulbs? Can i get those adapters at any auto shop?...I am dying for HID's I had a habit of driving with them since i had them in my altima, makes it so much easier to drive....hologens just dont cut it for me anymore.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

SilverStars don't give out that fast. They might continue to light just as long as the OE's would, they just don't work! Terrible lighting.
In simple terms (the ones I understand) coating a halogen w/a blue tint subtracts from it's normal state of being which is yellow/white. The two colors are incompatible w/eachother and are in a constant battle, one fighting the other instead of helping each other. So, the overall output suffers and the driver can't see as well using them. This I know form experience. It was terrible and dissappointing and I took them out and put them back in the package that they came in and will one day throw them out so no one else will suffer the same fate I did using them.
Does that make sense??

Old 02-07-2008, 08:08 PM

Since I haveSilverStar Ultrasin all3 positions (heads, high beams and fogs)on the front of mine, there is a very noticeable gain in light output on all of them over the stock Sylvania's. And if a cop wants to be a dick in Tennessee, he canwrite an Equipment violation for running a HID in a non HID light or on a car that did not come with HID's period.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Lev

I don't know how to put pics up. But i took two pics of the HID bulb. http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...207082110a.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...0207082110.jpg

Old 02-07-2008, 10:25 PM

Is that the piece we are talking about here ....can't i take it off the existing bulb and put it on the HID Kit bulbs.?
sorry about the repeated uploads... i just now figured out how to post pictures.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...207082110a.jpg

[IMG]local://upfiles/15620/90C75D3E6C004407B4653BBC7E1AEC22.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Lev

That piece comes attached to the HID bulb. The only way to take it off is if you break it. That piece is only there to fill in the space that the halogen adapter takes up. The halogen adapter has a socket for the H7 halogen bulb to fit in, and prongs to plug into the car. Here are some more pics to clarify a little more. Pic oneis the halogen bulb and its adapter detached. The HID bulb is next to it with its filler.
Name:  DSC01698.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  65.3 KB
Pic two is the same thing but with the halogen adapter attached next to the HID bulb.
Name:  DSC01699.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  75.4 KB
Pic three is a picture of my 8000k bulb. This was the first bulb i got when i didn't know much about these kits. I told the guy that i wantedthe same color output as OEM HID's and he told me the 8k's would do. He screwed me because these were more expensive than the 5k's. I got them from xenonpros.com. I highly recommend NOT using them.I did enjoy the 8k'sbecause they made the car look hot, but they weren't practical at night. Let me get to the point now. This bulb did not come with the filler. There were these round foamy things that came with the bulb's packaging and fit around the bulb. I put those on, along with a few cotton pads (fire hazard I'm sure) to fill in the space. The bulb fit in just fine with the added cushioning. I think this is your problem. If you get the bulb with no filler, find things to fill the space that won't behazardous.
Name:  DSC01701.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  42.4 KB

The rest of the pics are my car with 8,6 and 5k lights and what their color outputs look like. Just to show you what the car looks like with HID's.

This setis what the car looks like with the lights.I only changed the passenger side lights, so the driver side is all 5k. I have the pics starting with 5k then 6k then 8k.
5k Name:  DSC01703.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  37.5 KB
6kName:  DSC01711.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  36.7 KB
8k Name:  DSC01705.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  56.1 KB
These sets of pics are their output. starting with 5 then 6 then 8k.
5k Name:  DSC01716.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  18.3 KB

6kName:  DSC01710.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  13.0 KB

8k Name:  DSC01708.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  24.3 KB

Hope I've helped.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

DAYUM Lev!! Nice post!! Good job!!!
BTW: get the direct link of the pic (http//: etc) and click the pick button on the upper right side of the text box. Another small window will pop up. Just paste the link into it and click go or send or whatever it is.
Like this:
Name:  DSC01698.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  65.3 KB

So I suppose it's possible to make your own adapter for the H7 HID bulb, but the stock adapterclearly will not work as it is.
I once read a post on another forum that was debating this question and theysaid Mazda charges $12 ea. for them.
Why do they (Mazda) use these things in the first place? And why the hell can't they make a bulb clip that works!! I know the Proto guys have the same damn problem as we do w/these stupid things. Frustrating!! [:@]

Old 02-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Lev

Thanks Virg. I was able to go back and edit the post so now the pics areon the message.

Quick Reply: HID Kit Installation