Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

HELP !!! Oil Cooler / Spin On Oil Filter Conversion = $420 Seal !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Default HELP !!! Oil Cooler / Spin On Oil Filter Conversion = $420 Seal !!

In trying to update my 2009 Mazda 5 cartridge oil filter to the current Spin On Filter Conversion, I inadvertently split the silicone seal/gasket between the oil cooler and the oil filter housing! This caused me to lose 4qts of oil during start up and almost lose my engine! Be careful not to do what I did!

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

The seal is only sold with the Oil Cooler = $420!

I removed the ridged (looked like 1/2 o-ring on top of silicone gasket) silicone seal from the plastic plate attached to the oil cooler and tried to make one myself out of Make a Gasket Silicone but to no avail. Carefully beaded the caulk onto the plastic plate, let it form a skin. smoothed it out leaving enough for compression with an ice cube, put together, tighten bolt on cooler to housing, let dry 36 hours,re tightened.

Started it up = oil seeped out at seal interface! Totally frustrated!! In DYI for more than 45 years, this got the best of me!

Any thoughts:
Resources to purchase just the Plastic Plate/ Silicone seal rather than the $420 Oil Cooler with seal.
How to build a silicone seal that will withstand the oil pressure.

PS: I looked on this site and they sell this gasket, which I going to try. Note item # 14-702 @ oil cooler assembly: 1400A - OIL PUMP & FILTER (2500CC). Fits: Mazda | Jim Ellis Mazda

Just looked at the diagram for the Mexico Oil Cooler, A lot cheaper than the USA model quote!

Pics of the offending install , Do not know how to add to topic! Any help?

Many Thanks to all Forum members, Brad

Attached Thumbnails HELP !!! Oil Cooler / Spin On Oil Filter Conversion = 0 Seal !!-img_0461.jpg   HELP !!! Oil Cooler / Spin On Oil Filter Conversion = 0 Seal !!-img_0467.jpg   HELP !!! Oil Cooler / Spin On Oil Filter Conversion = 0 Seal !!-img_0472.jpg