Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Grounding the TB??? Whats the Point?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 01:32 AM
Default Grounding the TB??? Whats the Point?

I've noticed this alot on here and on sites like cardomain but, it seems like most people with 3's have the TB gounded out. I don't see the point of this or the advatages of having this "mod"? I mean since we the have no throttle cable and the TB works on a sensor persay. Wouldn't that sensor already be grounded?

Also another "mod" I've seen done a lot is something called, a coolant bypass something or another, again, what is the point of this?
I'm also wondering if this "mod" would fix my cel that says.."coolant temp unstable operation for regulating thermostat"

Old 08-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Default RE: Grounding the TB??? Whats the Point?

ok, i can only answer the first question for u.

yes, the TB is already grounded.
so most people put a larger gauge wire.
this slightly increase fuel economy, and, on automatics, it helps make smooth shifts.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:09 AM

TB? What does this acronym stand for?

Old 08-19-2007, 01:44 AM

Throttle Body

Old 08-19-2007, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

Yes. And ETB = Electronic Throttle Body.

For the TB Grounding question: Because the TB is electronic and the intake plastic it has been thought that through the normal cycles of temperature/humidity,a static electric build up could occur causing the ECU to get "confused" and act on the TB motor more slowly.This would effect throttle response.
Does it work? For .50 worth of supplies and about 10mins to hook everything up, I did it. It doesn't hurt anything, but it may just be a pacifier. I also daisy-chained the fuel rail in there too.

As for the coolant bypass: I believe Mazda engineer's idea was to help stabilize to air temp going into the TB bya constant temperatureas well as help keep it from freezing in the cold weather. 'Course when the car is cold, before initial startup, this won't help either of these.This may also have a positiveeffect on fuel atomization and emissions, and may have been their main goal. I can't be sure.
Many have thought that bypassing this will help a cooler, densercharge of air enter the TB, gaining a small increase in power.
Most that have tried this mod say that there was no noticeable difference... not even as a pacifier. Because it is more complicated and looks like *** when done (the ones I've seen) I have not attempted this one myself. Perhaps when I start having trouble with the extra rubber plumbing around there. In Texas, we don't usually have to worry about freeze-ups. But if you live in one of the snow belts, you may not want to go there unless you're willing to reverse it before every winter.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:53 AM

I would agree it'd be worth the time if you had the stock airbox set up, but if you had a CAI which is alum.or metal, would this elimiante this problem that would "confuse" the ECU...

As far as the coolant bypass goes. I probably won't do it because I live in st. louis...in the summer it gets 100 degress +, with 75% percent humidity plus and during the winter it gets as low as 0 degrees to the negitive single digits...St.louis cars go through hell and back through the summer and winter. They also go throuhg hell and back with the worst funded roads in missouri.... I swear missouri is the only state where is not a single toll bridge or road. Our roads show for it too. We also used to have truck competitions to with s10's that would be so lowered that they'd tuck stock rims and go over our pot holes and bridges just to see how big the shower of sparks they could make by bottoming out. I also laugh at the civic thats lowered with 17's with a body kit and laugh as it either gets completely tore off or a chunk gets blown off from our dips and curbs and potholes in the road lol

Old 08-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Even CAI's have rubber connecting hoses that clamp on. Since there's a gap between the metal parts, so no additional ground would be gained. But, like I said, I noticed no real difference and only did it to try it.Plus I had wire and connectors already in my shop. No other advantage that I am aware of. No disadvantage either, so I kept it.
And, I didn't know what else to call it, so I used the word confuse.