Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

GAS MILEAGE IMPROVEMENT -- MUST READ!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 03:07 AM
Default RE: GAS MILEAGE IMPROVEMENT -- MUST READ!

Jason- It was my fault, i didnt phrase it correctly

Naxxal-the k&n might actually hurt your economy at first but maybe after about 500 miles it should start to improve(at least this was the deal with my s13's). And i'd probably stick with the 5 weight, jus increase the viscocity, so 5w-30 should do

MazdaGuy- I havent heard of AMS even when i was with nicoclub.com, its either a new oil, or jus not known at all among forums, if redline dont do it, then maybe i will try AMS, IF I CAN BUY IT LOCALLY, if not then its gonna b mobil 1 from now on

Old 04-09-2006, 05:07 AM

Well just last night i have replaced my stock filter back to K&N, and i am sure that it will give me better gas mileage, only after 500 miles or so. And seems like it is better and safer to go for 5W-30 than 5w-20, I will buy AMSOIL, which is well known to me, its hard to get it locally, i don't know why but all the feedbacks i heard were wither amazing or great, so tomorrow i will buy oil from them for my next oil change.

Old 04-10-2006, 04:34 AM

It is really popular in racing. It lowered the engine temps in my race car. I might switch to 5W-30 next oil change though
!

Old 04-12-2006, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: krimsonviper

MazdaGuy- I havent heard of AMS even when i was with nicoclub.com, its either a new oil, or jus not known at all among forums, if redline dont do it, then maybe i will try AMS, IF I CAN BUY IT LOCALLY, if not then its gonna b mobil 1 from now on
Really? You've never heard of AMSOIL?

Old 04-12-2006, 08:33 PM

You cant buy it locally. You need to buy it from them, or find someone that sells it.

Old 04-15-2006, 06:26 PM

First tank and it turned in a solid 32. I am very impressed. I burn the first half of a tank myself. I drove it pretty hard to get a feel for the car. Lots of WOT and speed shifts. Pushed pretty hard through the twistys out in the country so i was thinking 28 would have been sweet. The wife drove the second half tank at that was in town and on the freeways around seattle which is not like setting the cruise for 100 miles. Once broke in and on the open road I think I will be very happy. Feels tight like and Audi and I like the short solid shifter. The wife got an automatic for a loaner for an hour and even she said she was glad we got the stick.

Old 04-17-2006, 12:09 PM

I guess there is no match Auto VS. Manual in Gas mileage, Auto avg. 25-27mpg max, Manual avg. 29-31mpg.

Old 04-17-2006, 12:59 PM

In my auto I'm getting 29-32 mixed.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:13 PM

Ok, here i come with my little problem,
First off all, i am testing everyway there is possible to get best mileage out of Mazda 3s Hatch 2006, why? just to see if the car meets EPA economy mileage, well Hatch, auto, has 25 city and 31 highway, well i have tested my car in a variety of ways. Such as, Fuel grades 87 and 93 Octane, Filters Stock and K&N, Driving habbits, accelerating and stopping faster and slower, and installed Do-It-Myself turbonator for 7$ piece of aluminum i made and inserted in the intake. Ok, with all of these stuff, i have been getting different mileage every time, no matter how i drive.
1. Stock - with 87 octane - 275 miles on 12.5 = 22.5 mpg
2. With synthetic oil - 93 Octane - 306 miles on 12.2 gal. (mostly highway)= 24.5 mpg
3. With K&N(fist time) and synthetic - 93 Octane - 280 miles on 12.3 gal. = 22.76 mpg
4. with K&N filter, synthetic oil, Custom turbonator - 83 Octane - 336 miles on 12.2 gal. (mostly highway) - auto mode = 27.5 mpg
5. with K&N filter, synthetic oil, Custom turbonator - 83 Octane - 300 miles on 13.8 gal. auto mode - gears changed at 3000 RPMs = 21.7 mpg
6. with K&N filter, synthetic oil, Custom turbonator - 83 Octane - 370.9 miles on 12.2 gal. (97% city) - triptronic mode gears changed at 1900 RPMS = 30.4 mpg
7. with K&N filter, synthetic oil, Custom turbonator - 83 Octane - comes out close to 290 miles on 12.3 gal. - triptronic mode gears changed at 2100 RPMS = 23.57 mpg

So, my question is, how did i get 30.4 in city shifting myself and staying always on 5th gear and low RPMs i got so significant mileage, and now its 70 miles less (driving the same way)? and it has been happening before. Also, I think which gas station you fill up does makes sense with your gas mileage.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:19 AM

Id like to give my experiences. I have a Mazda 3 Year 2004 Auto Stick. Sport 2.3L. When I first got it I found it handled ALLOT better than the 6 and had a tight suspension and steering much like a small sports car and still feel that way. But, after a month I noticed the shifting was starting to act weird. At first it would shift smooth and had no problems accelerating when I pressed the pedal. Shortly after, maybe a month I noticed the transmission wouldnt shift on time and sometimes didnt pick correct gears. For instance, when I would be at a stop sign and then press the pedal it would almost die out! Kinda like when you try and take off in second or third when using a manual transmission but mine is an automatic. I then started to notice the transmission doin this will traveling at low speeds of no higher than 50mph. When I would be traveling at anywhere between 15 to 50 mph and wanted to accelerate the car would hesitate big time. Kinda like when the Millenium Falcon in Star Wars Empire Strikes Back kept stahling when they pressed the light speed buttin LOL. Something had to be wrong so I brought it to the dealership. They had no codes or found no problems. They said it was normal and told me its the computer that creates the hesitation so it doesnt suck up gas and spin the tires. I found out it IS normal for the Mazda 3 cause I read in many forums people having the same problems. I didnt want to believe this so I installed a totally new Intake and exhaust and went with semi synthetic oil. I noticed the Horses increased a good bit almost to the point of spinning my tires which is unheard of in an M3 auto. The gas mileage actually went DOWN by about 3 to 5 miles per gallon. But went back to normal about a month later. Kinda weird. I tried using all the different octanes and found that the higher the octane the LOWER the mileage I got. And the higher the octane had no change at all in horse power. I also found that some gas companies really do make the car run bad while others seem to make it pur. I stay away from cheap gas for this reason mainly RacTrac Gas stations which are cheapest but also poorest. But I still dealt with the hesitation but especially with teh cheap gas. I read and read the forums and found another modification. I upgraded the ground wire to the battery wich was connected to the car frame and fixed up the grounding point so I didnt have paint between the contacts. This was by far the BIGGEST and best modification I have done. It increased gas mileage by 3 to 5mpg and increased HP and tourqe to the point where I now have torque steering! It also fixed the problem I had with acceleration for about a month. Gas went back to normal again after about a month. Some days I will get that hesitation and some days my 3 runs like a race car. Its like the car has a mind of its own and does what it wants even if I floor it! So I learned something from this modification and from reading forums. The Mazda 3 has a LEARNING computer. No matter WHAT you do to increase HP and tourque it will LEARN and ADJUST to keep the MPG about the same. Some days you will get 2 or 3mpg more or less but averaged out within about a month it somehow LEARNS what you did and then reconfigures the computer to make the car run just like it did or close to it when you bought it! Hard to believe but In my opinion this is true. So unless you can change the Computer that controls the engine and transmission you wont be getting a long term difference. I plan on buying a manual turbo when it comes out cause I hear the manuals have ALLOT less of a LEARNING CURVE than the manuals due cause you as the driver are literally making the car shift when you want it too. Whereas the manuals, although still using the auto stick, will shift for you if neccessary and has less gears than the manual. Oh and I also had the transmission reprogrammed and updated from the dealership. Didnt change anything. I noticed a slight change in torque and gear shifting for a month. Then I noticed it was same as it was when I bought it. Weird

Quick Reply: GAS MILEAGE IMPROVEMENT -- MUST READ!