Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Dead pedal upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Default Dead pedal upgrade

Just bought an '07 spot hatch and so far love the car! The only problem I see, so far, is that the dead pedal has really thin carpeting on it with no protection on it. Also, the trim on the accelerator doesn't go down far enough. I could see wearing thru the carpeting on these areas just by having my foot on the a.

Has anyone done something to "fix" this that doesn't cost alot and looks good?

Old 08-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Dead pedal upgrade

My very first mod.....

Name:  AVTPedals.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  23.1 KB

http://www.autovationparts.com/store/Mazda3.html

A year and a half... no, 2 yearslater and I STILL love 'em!! They make heel/toeing much easier too, not that it's that hard to start with.

This is the Machined Series finish. Terrific grip in any weather. Not affected by water or ice & a great look too, imo!!

Old 08-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

I purchased a dead pedal from someone at www.mazda3forums.com. He just makes them out of his house as a hobby. His new ones are made of aluminum and he'll paint/clearcoat them silver or black for you. There's a 90 degree bend on the right side so it covers the side of the deadpedal area as well. I had him do mine in black so it wouldn't stand out too much (actually I was the first that got a black one), however mine's one of his older steel ones (they still look the same. ). I think they cost about $20-25 and the work is excellent.

HERE's the link to the thread about deadpedals. He also makes pedal sets and a dash panel which holds three gauges. That goes in place of the ashtray section.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:30 PM

I got 3 pedals and dead pedal on ebay for $89. they are great Alum with rubber behind that come through holes in the pedals. Also have mazda 3 at the top of each ped. They attach using allen screw and nut. NOT the cheap kind that have fold over taps to attach. 8 months and still look great

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZDA...spagenameZWDVW

Old 08-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

eastcoaster, those pedals are awesome. I installed a set in a friend's 3 shortly after they came out... a present for his wife. It looks like they've changed the design a little bit because the originals had four holes in all pedals which made it a bit of a pain in the ***. I still think they'd look awesome powercoated black.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

icspots, I've seen the sok07 dead pedals many times before, but not in black. I like that!! Better than when left natural.
EC, nice pedal set!! They look really good, as I've seen those before on eBay also. Do you have pics of them installed?
Are they at all slippery when wet? That's the prob w/most rubber pedals and what I really like about the ones I got.

Also, is "Killer" red a new Mazda color?

Old 08-22-2007, 08:31 AM

east coaster....thank you lol. those pedals will soon be mine ive been looking forthe perfect set to buy i think u may have just ended my hunt....i will post pics when they come in

Old 08-22-2007, 12:20 PM

Glad I could help...
I will get some pics up soon. I know I have been saying that BUT I really will.

also on my dead pedal I used some blue anidized allen screws instead of the phillips screws that came with the pedals. why blue you may say???
Because they were in my tool box.... looks cool.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:43 PM

eastcoaster:
How is the dead pedal installed? Do you drill into the floor? Are the screws self tapping? I worry about the pedal working loose over time and being left w/ holes in the floor.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

The deadpedal is just screwed into the carpet. The lump of the deadpedal is actually just a piece of hard styrofoam. The screws you put in are mostly just holding on the carpet and not going into any sheet metal at all. You can hand screw them in very easily.

Quick Reply: Dead pedal upgrade