Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Couple o' mod ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Question Couple o' mod ?

So I'm thinking about going with a couple of parts from protege garage and Im wondering what all needs to be done...

1. I'm looking to go with the supertech forged pistons and buy them at 12:1 (I want a higher compression ratio because, i'm scrapping the 4k for the turbo set up I want to go straight N/A)

2. I'm also looking at the weapon R intake manifold, I have a coustom intake anyway so i know it should fit.

3. I'm finishing up with the split second A/F controller that basically is piggy backed to my MAF sensor.

Will my stock injectors be able to handle this? Going with a higher compression and close to 100,000 miles by the time i get all these parts should i replace the head gasket? What kind of HP and TQ gains and i'm going to see by installing the pistons with the higher compression and manifold and fine tuning it? I'm assumingif i did this i would have to run premium because of the higher compression?

Old 08-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

First off, it has been my experience that PG is not necessarily the best place to shop for prices. You might do well to do some further research if this is a concern of yours.
Second, 12:1? You'd better be prepared to convert solely to premium fuel.
Third, Weapon R makes crap. I considered their products at first too when a friend suggested that to me. Upon further research on the subject, I found that he was right and that most others were having some sort of problem with their WR intake, not the least of which was that it was falling apart.
Go with Mazdaspeed/AEM, Fujitsu, K&N or one of the other "brand" names for reliability.
Fourth, I don;t know the Split-Second unit, but everyone else that has tried a piggy-back anything has failed. Sadly, the PCM in these cars is NOT very cooperative when it comes to mods. My alrternative, though an expensive one that I'll never do, is the stand-alone Haltech or Reactive Racing's unit http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=96916.0. Either way, you're looking at a chunk of change.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:39 PM

Well i have my own intake already. I was looking at the intake manifold. not the intake its self.

I was thinking to converting straight to premium anyway in which i thought i would need to anyway with such high compression.. Crazy enough they make forge pistons that go up to 14:1 compression which is even more ridiculous

Yeah i know the PCM is kinda of a b*tch to tune they aren't very cooperative thats for sure.

The piggy back in way sounds convincing since it allows you tune in the 3d maps and gives real time data logging.

http://siteground207.com/~protegeg/p...oducts_id=1502

I was considering for the longest time the haltech F10X but thats like $700

Old 08-15-2009, 01:08 AM

with 14:1 to one compression your going to swallow gas, 12:1 is not as bad but still i guess your would already know that. Heres the thing, i have no idea what your tryin to build the car for but im going to tell you this...its not going to be a straight line car its just not going to be fast enough (even though anything can be fast with the right amount of money) and on top that your still automatic so thats even worse.

I can tell you with 12:1 compression, intake mani, and piggyback your not going to see more than 200whp my best guess is 186whp which is about a lil more than 40+ gain and in the 1/4mi im gonna say your gonna run between 14.9-15.3 at best, its kinda hard to budget build a car like this and even harder that you have an automatic.

Haltech was the first to come out with something for us but they def not the best, a better option would be the mircotech or aem. I could actually suggest a budget turbo build it would be alot easier and get better results.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:29 AM

Yeah, with the pistons, split second piggy back, and the mani was about $1200 not including tuning and that was all prices from protege garage which virg, said wasn't the best places for shopping but still if i went with a budget turbo set up i could find would be scrapping a t3/4 of a junk car. $375 for the turbo mani and down pipe, I'm not sure which size injectors i would get but i'm assuming around $200, 38mm wastegate is $120. AEM computer which i'm honestly not to sure which one i would get would probably be around $400. lastly i could probably buy some universal intercooler piping for $130 i could probably scrap an intercooler from somewhere... $1225 not tuned and not the price for scraped parts, hoses, clamps, etc. Running 7 or 8 psi which would be safe for a high mileage engine such as mine claims somewhere around 230 HP...