Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Command Start Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Default Command Start Issues

Hi everyone! New member here.

I have a 2008 Mazda 3 sport. I had a 2 way CompuStar command start unit installed on it near the end of December. Everything worked great for the first few days, until one morning the car decided to set off the panic alarm every time I tried to start the vehicle with the doors locked. It still starts, just wakes up my neighborhood while it's at it. I haved not used the original fob since installing the command start, and it did not matter whether I locked the doors with the command start unit, or manually used the electronic looks inside the car. I had used both previously and interchangably with no issues. If the doors were unlocked, everything worked just fine.

I went back to the engine place, where they informed me that it is 'just a car thing'. The tech revamped the set up to unlock my car, start it, and then relock it. I am really not happy with this, as the car is unlocked for longer than I am entirely comfortable with. The installers told me it was the only way it would work, and that it happens with Mazdas.

Has anyone else had similar problems? Do you think the tech is correct?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JamTartJr; 01-07-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:50 PM

I dont think so and if so that is a horrible product, to me it just sounds like they made their sale and dont want to deal with you anymore. Try contacting a different dealer/installer and explain your problem to them and see if they know whats wrong, when you have that information (if it is different than what your installer said) then confront them about it and have them fix it at their cost. Dont be bullied around by people when a product is not performing the way its described or as you intended it to work.

Also since I did a quick search on CompuStar all I saw were lots of issues but mostly with incorrect installations, I would have them triple check everything again, its your car after all.

Second thought......... when I start my 3 I CAN NOT lock the doors with the second fob or even the one in the ignition, it flat refuses to lock the car, I have to manually lock the car with the key, maybe there is something here also?

Old 01-07-2013, 12:44 AM

Thanks for the response! I had a feeling things weren't quite right.

As for your second thought, I have actually spoken to my local Mazda dealer about that. I was informed that it is a feature that is supposed to keep you from locking your keys in your car, and it can not be disabled. But yes, that eccentricity is the reason I thought the installer may have some justification.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:19 PM

The mazda acc remote start will not start with the doors unlocked. Sounds like u should google the setup u have and see if other people have similar concerns.