Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Remote Start Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 11:41 PM
Default Remote Start Issues?

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and looked through the search function but did not see what I was looking for.... So here is my question...

I just got a Remote Start (Avital 4000XL)installed at a local Best Buy. Well they did a pretty basic job of putting it in the car. (07 Mazda 3). When I picked up the car they told me that I had to use the factory remote to first unlock the car (Disarming the alarm) then use the remote that came with the remote start to the car. So basically I need both remotes on my key chain. I think that having to disarm the car which means it is unlocked and then starting the car is a very dumb way for a remote start to work. My question is... Is there a way to disarm the factory alarm? I would think the remote start would have a wire for that? Also.. what about unlocking and locking the car with the remote start remote? I would think that there would be a wire that could disarm the factory alarm that the best buy people didn't feel like hooking up. I think the unlock/lock function might be more involved though. (relays). Also.. is there a way to program the Avital remote to the stock system????

Any help would be great since the Mazda remote does not have the distance of the remote start remote. So I am basically limited to the distance on the mazda remote. I also just started the car with the remote start without unlocking it and the alarm goes off. just a fyi..

Thanks
Eric

Old 12-27-2007, 02:08 AM
VB
Default RE: Remote Start Issues?

My question is...why didn't you have Mazda install it? Sure you pay more, but then you don't have to worry about issues such as this one.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:44 PM

My answer... Well I got the remote start at best buy and just had them install it. Was not aware that a mazda dealer would install an aftermarket remote start that was not theirs. Thanks for your reply.. it was helpful.

Eric

Old 12-27-2007, 05:35 PM

wow im not too sure if he was being sarcastic or he really meant it. anyway. does your car actually have an alarm system or is it just keyless entry. because then it would not matter. if it does. then ask mazda to disable it. im sure there is some type of code for it, or some way of turning it off.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Eric,
With all kind of funky, interconnectedelectronics in cars these days, you are liable to run into something like you already have using some AM products. It's true that your best option may have been to have the dealer installed unit put in, or just go out and start the damned thing yourself, but now that you've had the AM installed you may just have to deal with it's quirks.
Oh, and while it's not my intention to scare you, you should be aware that ifother electrical issues that are traceable to the remote start crop up, Mazda will fight you tooth and nail about that too. That's a warranty void-er, for sure, but only if another issue is CAUSED by the remote start or it's installation. They'll win. Be prepared.
Could you take the car back to BB and have them uninstall it?
I used to work for BB. The job lasted all of 5 weeks before I told them where to stick it. I now avoid BB at all costs. They ain't all they're cracked up to be, believe me. I'm sure the guys that did the work did it as quickly and as easily as possible, and w/o longevity in mind either.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:56 PM

there are specific wires that carry the arm/disarm and lock/unlock signal, they go to the doors through the the left kick plater at the driver's seat, where your feet normally are. you cannot tap into these unless your remote start actually supports being able to disarm the security system as well as locking the security system. let me know if your remote start does this, if it does I should be able to help you.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:51 PM

Esloyer,

Thanks for the reply. Well I have the autostart down to one remote. I can unlock/lock and remote start the car with theremote supplyed with the Avital system. However, I still have to unlock the car before it can be remote started. The Avital system does have a disarm/arm wire that comes from the main unit. I have givin up with the best buy guys cause they said it was impossible to get it down to one remote but yet I did that. I just had them do the installation cause it came with the remote start. I just can't figure out how to get around the alarm. Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Eric

Old 01-06-2008, 07:09 PM

eric,

haha my name is eric to by the way. ive read this post and thought that people were talkin to me. which model of the Avital system do you have?

if it has a arm/disarm connection, which i will check when you give me the model number you can wire it to the car's wire and it will do the work for you.

just let me know,
eric

Old 01-07-2008, 06:28 PM

Hey Eric,

I have the Avital 4000xl. It has the door lock/unlock feature installed. So now I can use that remote to start/unlock and lock the car. Let me know what I have to do for it to work. As of now I keep waking up my neighbors because when I start the car when it is locked it sets off the alarm... hahaha..

Do you know what is involved with this? Or is just a matter of connecting the disarm/arm wire from the avital unit to the mazda alarm wire? If so.. where do I find the mazda wire?

Thanks for the help...!!!!

ERIC

Old 01-07-2008, 06:55 PM

eric,

according to the avital brochure for the remote start, http://www.avital.com/products/pdf/avital_brochure.pdf , only the 4400, 4300, and 4200 have the alarm arm/disarm feature, so i dont think there is going to be a way for you to use just one remote as the unit that you have does not have the feature built into it. very sorry..

-eric

Quick Reply: Remote Start Issues?